PDA

View Full Version : Dobsonfly larvae

Steve Maxson
09-02-2013, 04:49 PM
This Dobsonfly larva (also called a hellgrammite) (Family Corydalidae) was found in a rocky-bottomed river in Belize during a macro workshop last January. These larvae are predaceous and large (in the 60-70 mm range). The image was taken in a 2.5 gal. aquarium setup using rocks from the river. The hairlike structures along the sides of its abdomen are its gills which are waved back and forth in the water. 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/100, f/16, ISO 200, MT24-EX twin flash (diffused), hand held. I removed many tiny bits of debris from the water that were illuminated by the flash. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
What an incredible looking larva - it's enormous! I love the exposure and lighting and the slight murkiness in the background. My only slight reservation is the large bolder it is resting on. i think I would consider cropping the bottom off - just above the central pale rock. This is a super image the detail is excellent.

christopher galeski
09-05-2013, 03:01 AM
nice capture,good detail in the larva,like the color and tones in this.

Mitch Haimov
09-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Nicely done, Steve! Quite the impressive larva. I just used Google Images to peak at some adults--don't think I'd care to run into one in a dark alley! Had a feeling they would appear a bit wicked, but the exceed my expectations. Not sure what that is in the BG, but it gives a very natural look as if you stumbled upon this beast while snorkeling in Jonathan's pond. I agree with cropping form the bottom, and possibly a bit from the right as well. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

Anita Bower
09-08-2013, 06:26 AM
I just looked up the Dobsonfly. I think the larvae is more interesting. I think this is a very good documentary image.

Steve Maxson
09-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Mitch: The adult males look fearsome, but are harmless. On the other hand, the adult females can deliver a nasty, powerful bite if you don't handle them carefully - I speak from experience!

Mitch Haimov
09-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Ouch!