PDA

View Full Version : Milky Way

Robert Kimbrell
09-01-2013, 02:02 PM
I got the interest to try my had a a little night photography, due to last months Perseid Meteor shower. I have only made it out twice due to the daily rains this time of year in Florida. So my first attempts have been to learn to capture and process the Milky Way. I would appreciate any advice on how you would have processed it differently.
Nikon D-800 14-24 2.8
F2.8 at 25 sec. 15mm
Iso 2000, wb ~3700K

Diane Miller
09-01-2013, 10:33 PM
This looks very much on par with other Milky Way shots I've seen. It is a difficult subject, especially through the density of the atmosphere at sea level. I love that the sky has retained some blue, and the clouds at the base are a plus. I'm not so sure I care for the lights on the buildings, but it does give it a context.

The leading lines of the beach are a nice touch.

I'll be trying my hand at shooting the Milky Way in a few days, from the bristlecone pine forest in the White Mountains (11-12.0000 ft!) and from the Eureka Dunes area of Death Valley NP.

Robert Kimbrell
09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
This looks very much on par with other Milky Way shots I've seen. It is a difficult subject, especially through the density of the atmosphere at sea level. I love that the sky has retained some blue, and the clouds at the base are a plus. I'm not so sure I care for the lights on the buildings, but it does give it a context.

The leading lines of the beach are a nice touch.

I'll be trying my hand at shooting the Milky Way in a few days, from the bristlecone pine forest in the White Mountains (11-12.0000 ft!) and from the Eureka Dunes area of Death Valley NP.

Thanks for the input Diane. The processing work flow is so different in these shot. I need some practice to work it all out. Your trip sounds very exciting. I hope you get the weather you need, and I will keep an eye out for your next post.

David Smith
09-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Robert...

I like it very much... I agree with the bright buildings being a distraction.. Maybe you could clone some of the dark area in the lower right and cover up the bright buildings. Other than that, I really like where you were going with this..

Dave

P-A. Fortin
09-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks for posting something different. It is always interesting to have a look at something that is not a bird (although I still do prefer birds anyway :t3)

I really like the image as it is. Composition is good and the beach adds alot to it. I might have been tempted to experiment a bit with contrast/saturation in the sky just to give it just a little more "pop".

I'm also in the "tone down the bright buildings" camp. Not critical, but it takes the eye away from the beautiful sky.

Thanks for sharing.

Clyde Hopper
09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi Robert ,I too like this photo . The more I look at it ,the more I like it As-is .

jack williamson
09-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Nicely done Robert, as mentioned the brightly lit buildings distract. The leading lines of the beach contrast very nicely with the opposite angle of the milky way. Well seen composition. I love the clouds on the horizon.

Jack

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey Robert,
Milky way looks good but shooting in the city or near buildings is tough. A suggestion for you in the field....cover the brightest area (buildings) with your fingers close to the lens for a few seconds.....this will help tone down just the brightest area. I find the hand or fingers work best. You could also try processing this twice....once for darker building area and then for the sky and manually combining them in PP'ing. Just some ideas for you.