PDA

View Full Version : Southern Lapwing

Bill Dix
09-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I was with a busload of birders in the remote Darien Province of Panama, heading toward the start of a steep hike into the tropical forest in search of a Pygmy Owl, when my wife spotted this fellow in a field. "Stop!" I said, "Just give me a couple minutes." I crawled on all fours across the field, to a point where I could intercept the Lapwing, and grabbed several quick shots while a dozen folks patiently waited and watched out of the bus window. I felt pressured not to take much time working the bird; otherwise I might have been lucky enough for a head turn. That's the constant problem of trying to combine photography with group birding. Still, it's a way to see lots of new species, and I'm always grateful for whatever I get.

D7000, 80-400VR @ 400mm, ISO 640, 1/1600s @ f/6.3 manual, HH.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Bill,

Glad you got a chance to see this guy, and even happier that the group waited for you to get the shots. The low shooting angle really helps you separate the bird, although I wish the dark spot wasn't right by his legs. Do you have a frame before or after where you can clone that part out?

Looks like you are getting some great images in Panama, I'm enjoying the series.

Miguel

dankearl
09-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Fantastic looking bird, Bill.
Yes to a bit of a head turn, but nice enough angle for a new and very interesting species.

arash_hazeghi
09-01-2013, 06:35 PM
I like the low angle, pose and nice colors. good details but it looks a tad oversharpened to me. very nice TFS

Bruce Spell
09-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Bill, great story (and simply amazing you got them to stop and wait for you). You also came away with a very nice image for your efforts. I love the background color which compliments the colors in this bird. Too bad for the short window of opportunity but I think you certainly made the most of it!

shane shacaluga
09-02-2013, 02:44 AM
Very nice looking bird! Great colours and details

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Cool species! in fact I was also after one of this for long time. Finally two months ago I got a decent shot of this species. Nice light here, pose and habitat around it. Sharpening has been mentioned.

Bill Dix
09-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments, as always. Yes, it is a bit oversharpened. In my previous post, the jpeg on my computer looked sharp, but seemed a little soft when I uploaded it to BPN; so this time I pushed it to the limit, and a little beyond, I guess.

Oh, and btw, after a heart-stopping climb up into the forest on a blisteringly hot and humid day, the group did find the Central American Pygmy-Owl. Unfortunately too far away to photograph.

gail bisson
09-02-2013, 12:57 PM
What a wonderful looking bird. Love the flat forehead.
I really like the colors on the wing. Good pose with the leg up.
Nice low POV as well.
I feel like the image could use a hint of CW rotation.
If this was mine I would clone out the black smudge/rock intersecting with the legs. I find my eye keeps going to that area.
Enjoy your birding vacation!
Gail

Bill Dix
09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks Gail. Since you and Miguel both mentioned it, here's a repost without the grey blob. And somewhat less sharpening. (In fact maybe not enough?? I don't trust my eyes anymore.) I'm not sure about the rotation.

Petros Petrou
09-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Great image especially given the circumstances. The repost is an improvement of a very fine image. Sharpness and BG are great. I like the walking pose with the raised feet. I haven't seen this species before. TFS

jack williamson
09-02-2013, 07:30 PM
A fine reward for your effort. The sharpness in the op looked excellent to me except for a little halo in front of the face. A fine exposure and a fine looking bird.

Jack

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Very nice capture Bill! Possible tweaks and HA mentioned.....but still a fine shot all in all!

Bill Dix
09-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Thank you Petros, Jack and Roman. I appreciate it.