PDA

View Full Version : Hood Ornament

Kerry Perkins
09-01-2013, 12:28 AM
One of the great things about summer in the US is the classic car shows. It is great fun to walk around and look at the cool cars, talk to the owners, and find interesting things to photograph. I've become very interested in the hood ornaments on the classics, they really made some amazing bits of art to lead the car down the road - much like the bow spirit of a boat. This one was attached to a 1938 Cadillac LaSalle, an amazing classic. I was able to position myself so there was a dark car in the bg, so it was easy in PS to isolate the ornament. The setting sun lit up the flying lady nicely. I love how she just flows upward from the hood to meet the oncoming wind; a beautiful example of art in automobile design. I used a Nik Bi-Color filter for the color gradient and standard levels and curves to get the tonal range.

Anita Bower
09-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Love it! Excellent use of BiColor filter. Love the colors, the angle of the shot, the simplicity. Your treatment perfectly complements the ornament. I'm unsure about the bright spot on the hood. The reflections add interest.

Diane Miller
09-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Very cool! Great colors and I love the dark BG and the subtly lighter area in front of her chest. I'd love to see a little more room on the right, though.

WIlliam Maroldo
09-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Well done Kerry! Like the composition, lighting, colors, and the subject of course. Excellent job at positioning the camera to get the dark background.

Cheryl Slechta
09-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Kerry, this is gorgeous:S3: I love the choice of bi-colors and the lighting as she sails forth into the wind.

Judy Howle
09-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree with other comments, it is beautiful! I like the colors and lighting and composition. I also love the old hood ornaments. We had a car show here not long ago, but, really, August in Mississippi??? I went out to photograph lotus at the lock and dam where they had the car show at 3:00 one day when a gal wanted me to show her where they were and shoot together and I got too hot in about 20 minutes in the sun and left.

Cindy Cone
09-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Beautiful color and light, Kerry! As others have said, great use of bi-color. I like the comp as is.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Kerry,

Greetings. This has just super color! Just a little more room on the right would do it for me. Wow. Good show!

Cheers,

-Michael-

Paul Lagasi
09-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Being a car buff Kerry, this is totally sweet. Todays designers could learn a thing or two from the old days. Love the color, detail, depth of field and how the image dissolves into the background. Well done

Kerry Perkins
09-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-03-2013, 07:49 PM
So well done Kerry, the bi-colour filter is perfect!

Mitch Carucci
09-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Beautiful ornament, but the lighting and effects you achieved raises this image to the top. There is a wonderful flow and movement.