PDA

View Full Version : Spectacled Owl

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-31-2013, 06:16 PM
One of our most beautiful and powerful owls.
This one was not baited and in fact I was very lucky to find it in the ''open''.

600f/4MKI@f/4+MarkIV+ISO2500+SS1/100sec.+Tripod+very small crop, PS and LR. I did clone a twig on the URC.

Comments and suggestions for improving are most welcome and appreciated.

dankearl
08-31-2013, 06:31 PM
You obviously had a steep angle to work with, but a great looking Owl!
If only it had looked down a bit it would have minimized that.
Nice IQ and habitat.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-31-2013, 08:29 PM
What a beauty and a nice head turn too. You did well in getting the owl in a clearing of the greens. Juan when I was there I saw the famous "black owl" Is this the actual named owl?

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-31-2013, 08:44 PM
What a beauty and a nice head turn too. You did well in getting the owl in a clearing of the greens. Juan when I was there I saw the famous "black owl" Is this the actual named owl?
Thanks for your kind words Cheryl. No the actual name of that ''black'' was the black-and-white owl, Ciccaba nigrolineata.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks for your kind words Cheryl. No the actual name of that ''black'' was the black-and-white owl, Ciccaba nigrolineata.

Thanks, I would have loved to see this one too.:)

Satish Ranadive
08-31-2013, 11:59 PM
Great look back pose, nice IQ. beautiful colors,eyes and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Steve Kaluski
09-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi Juan, I would check your setting for 'Web' as the image indicates an untagged profile which, when viewed, is punching up (saturating) the image. When viewed as an sRGB image the colours are a bit better, but I would still adjust the greens in H/S/L and the mask to applied to the BKG or key areas. Having spent a lot of time photographing owls recently, the steep angle is part of the issue in photographing this species and although perhaps not ideal, is a fact you can't often avoid. Good you have got it clear of any distracting foliage which is a real pain, I think they do this deliberately. Nice look back and detail where t counts IMHO.

TFS
Steve

shane shacaluga
09-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Amazing looking owl. First time i have seen this species. Thanks for sharing

jack williamson
09-01-2013, 08:46 AM
First time for me to see this owl, love the colors on the face and those great eyes.

Jack

Karl Egressy
09-01-2013, 09:39 AM
You are right, it is a beauty. Nicely done, Juan.

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2013, 02:10 PM
I love the surroundings here, and the owl itself looks great. Good comp. The steep angle is the only issue for me, and I agree had it looked down at you that would have minimized that (although perhaps the shadows in the eyes would become too prominent). Did you run NR to the subject too?

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Many thanks every one, your comments are highly appreciated.

Stu Bowie
09-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi JC, lovely detail on this fellow, especially the 'eyebrows', and I like how he is separated from the surrounding foliage.