PDA

View Full Version : Best way to carry camera/ long lens over shoulder using strap

Richard Stern
08-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi,

I have a D7000, 300f4 and TCE14, that I like to carry over the shoulder for a quick draw, for hand-held birds. I have an Up-strap that attaches to the strap lugs on the camera body, and a Luma Cinch sling strap (like a Black Rapid) that attaches either to the tripod screw on the camera body, or the screw on the Kirk tripod collar on the lens. When attached to the camera screw, the rig hangs down vertically when I walk, and is more comfortable. But I'm worried that either camera body system puts too mush strain on the lens mounts and might damage them. With the tirpod collar mount the rig hangs horizontally but is less comfortable. What, if anything, do others use in this situation, and any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Richard

shane shacaluga
08-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I have the same combo and hook the strap to the lens collar. I make sure the camera rests horizontally on my hip with the lens is pointing to my rear. Its faster to pick up the body if anything unexpected appears.

David Burren
08-31-2013, 06:36 PM
The biggest kit I carry this way is currently 5D3+grip, 1.4x, and 120-300 OS S lens. I also carry the Canon 100-400 and 70-200 lenses the same way though. I use a BlackRapid RS-7, with a Kirk clamp attached to the clip. When using short lenses I attach the clamp to the side of the camera's L-plate. But when using a lens with its own foot, that's what goes in the clamp. So the rig hangs horizontally, pointing to the rear.

I use Op/Tech neck straps on the camera bodies, but sometimes remove the padded portion (leaving two shorter straps which clip together). I always clip these together after passing them through the BlackRapid strap, which gives me a fallback if something happens with the clip/clamp. This isn't idle paranoia either: I have seen a 1-series body become detached from 300/2.8 lens and fall to the floor of a Zodiac in Antarctica. Luckily it managed to avoid most of the water sloshing around on the floor. It happened multiple times on that expedition (seemed to be an issue with the locking pin on that body) but after the first time the owner had taken my advice and the body didn't fall free.
The 120-300 has strap lugs on its collar, and I have the same Op/Tech connector straps on these.

Also note that if your camera has a dial on the top left of the body this can rub against your body while being carried. With the 5D2 and 7D I started covering this dial with gaffer tape, but later bodies have a lock button. It's really annoying when you lift the camera for a grab shot only to find that the camera's in some weird custom mode instead of Manual!

David Stephens
09-01-2013, 11:11 PM
For my Canon 500/f4, I put a regular U-strap on the lugs on the lens and carry it over my shoulder. I keep my hand on the lens foot to make sure nothing slips. A 300/f4 is light enough that you can support it with the body, but you're nearing the point where the weight of the lens should be supported by the lens rather than the body.

Iain Barker
09-02-2013, 03:07 AM
I too have the same setup with a D7000 300mm f4 and 1.4x tc and I use a sling strap similar to the Black rapid mounted to the lens collar. The camera then hangs horizontally and is easy to grab if a bird suddenly appears. I have carried the camera for around 8 miles in this way with no problems with comfort. I find using a short kit lens on this setup bounces around al lot on my hip and I am looking at also getting an Op/Tech neck straps for this situation that can be used as a safety measure as describe by David when using the sling strap.

Richard Stern
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the responses - what would people think about attaching an ordinary (but strong) strap to the lugs on the camera body that are presumably built to take the weight of the camera + lens, and letting the 300+TCE14 hang down? Richard

Iain Barker
09-02-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure how comfortable this would be and much prefer having it horizontal across my hip. I'm also not sure about having the weight of the lens and convertor always hanging from the lens mount. I think it would be much better to have at least some of the weight being taken by the lens collar mount in some way.

Ulli Hoeger
09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Richard Stern;932941]Hi,

I have a D7000, 300f4 and TCE14, that I like to carry over the shoulder for a quick draw, .............../QUOTE]

I use a sniper strap knock off that attaches to the lens collar. Wouldn't want to put the stress load on the camera lens mount.

There are one or two other systems on the market that will work by using the lens collar as attachment point but keeping the rig more firmly connected to the body when not in use.

Here's a hint ... ;) (http://www.whattheduck.net/sites/default/files/WTD1398.gif)

Ulli