PDA

View Full Version : Face in the Mist

Rob T Smith
08-31-2013, 06:20 AM

Waterbuck in early morning mist in the Kruger National Park, South Africa. Nikon D3S; 70-200mm, 2,8 lens @ ISO of 200 on a bean bag.

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Welcome here Rob, I'm glad you signed up. Your photography can only grow from strength to strength through active participation on BPN and having an open mind and teachable attitude.
Your photo here is hosted from Facebook, which is not ideal as FB is known for dismally affecting the quality of uploaded photos. In order to properly critique, it's advisable that we have the best quality file possible to work from.
In order to embed photos in your thread (upload) you need to be a paid member. Most folks here would agree that $20 per year is nothing for what you learn on this forum. However, you are still free to participate as a normal registered forum member. I would advise though that you host your photos on an external site like Photobucket which is also free. You can post up to 1200px wide and 800px high and up to 400kb file size. :e3

For more info on posting and using the site, check out these threads:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87393-Please-Read-Before-Posting-The-First-Time-and-Then-From-Time-to-Time

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/53926-Posting-Instructions-and-Guidelines-Revised-02-24-2011

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/62351-Saving-for-Web-in-PS

Feel free to also pop me or any of the other mods a private message (PM) if you have specific questions or issues.

Now, regarding the photo...I like seeing photos of these graceful antelopes. It looks like it was kind of misty, which always lends an interesting mood to images. I find the foliage (reeds?) in front of the antelope distracting and realise that from the looks of things there was no way to avoid them. It's hard to make a correct critique on image sharpness, colour and contrast due to the quality of the Facebook-hosted image, though. It does look like it could need a bump in exposure and contrast to optimise the exposure. :S3:

Gregor Bergquist
08-31-2013, 05:17 PM
HI Rob

and welcome to BPN :)

I got to say I really like this one and your vision with it :5

I would sure like to see a repost with selective sharpness on the face. I like the subdued colors, but think there could maybe some more light (lights in curves in Lightroom). Morkels comments are always spot on.

Thanks for sharing / Gregor

jack williamson
08-31-2013, 05:32 PM
I really want to see this posted larger. I like the early morning mist and subdued light. Welcome to BPN.

Jack

Gregor Bergquist
08-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi Rob

Just a try from me. WDYT? (Only applied some selective sharpening on the antelope and some light.)

Stan Cunningham
08-31-2013, 06:02 PM
I like the RP better but it's difficult to tell with the smaller OP.

Steve Kaluski
09-01-2013, 04:39 AM
Hi Rob and welcome to the Wildlife Forum.

I won't expand on Morkels intro, but what I would say is please browse through the various Forums within BPN, there is a wealth of knowledge you can build from and please don't limit yourself to posting in just one Forum. :S3: I too also look forward to your participation within BPN.

So, onto the image, not sure what Colour profile C2 is, but your first port of call I think would be to review the threads Morkel has highlighted, as they will start to form the 'skeleton' of your Post Production (PP). Checkout Eager to Learn & Digital Workflow forums. The image does look 'soft' (not sharp) and without the shutter speed (SS) and f/stop it's difficult to know if it's a tech issue or one of PP, also if this is Full frame (FF) or a substantial crop? If you can expand on this, it would be most helpful. I do however love the early morning mist and softer shades/tones of the image, but do find the buck just a tad to close to the RHS. Good you have space for the 'virtual' legs below.

I like Gregors RP because of the warmer colours and better clarity, I took a reading in LR (lighter curve over the body 50.4 l 50.4 l 52.2) to get a mid tone grey which is has now meant the image is a lot cooler (a fraction of blue to much) and may not reflect the truer colours, but with some simple tweaks in mid tone, exposure ie a tad more black & some sharpening I think you can see there is more detail that can be extracted from your original posting, therefore I would suggest if you have the time to revisit the RAW with the various feedbacks and information you may have already gleaned from the Forum & repost (RP). Warming it up can then be down to personal taste. :S3:

Hope this help.

TFS
Steve

Rob T Smith
09-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Hello Morkel, Gregor, Steve & Stan - many thanks for taking the time to assess this image and sharing them with me. Your insights and suggestions clearly set BPN aside & I'll certainly sign up & participate more frequently. I can see why one's photography improves exponentially by getting involved!

WRT to this image, I'll post a larger image once I've signed up to BPN and tweaked the RAW image along the lines suggested. I'm sorry the original settings were not included in my original post -I thought I had done just that. Thanks once again!

Regards,

Rob

Robert Amoruso
09-01-2013, 07:46 AM
You have come to the right place Rob for some help.

Excellent moderators (I am a former one) and participants will help you out. I would suggest that the membership price is a worthwhile investment given the amount of time moderators spend and the amount of help you will get.

edwardselfe
09-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Hi Rob - I've been here about 2 months and learning loads already. Make sure to give your opinion in places too as that's as much a way to learn as receiving suggestions. It's a steal at $20!
Ed

Rachel Hollander
09-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Hi Rob - a big welcome to BPN and the Wildlife Forum from me too! A nice first post that I look forward to seeing larger once you get everything sorted. If you need any help just shout.

TFS,
Rachel

Rob T Smith
09-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Hi All, many thanks for all your comments and warm welcomes to this site. I look forward to learning and sharing along the way. I've noted your suggestions about this image and, although a little late, am posting a re-edited version. 133003

Nikon D3S with a 70-200mm f/2,8 lens at a focal length of 78mm; 1/60th at f11 and an ISO of 640.

Many thanks, once again, for all your comments, Rob