PDA

View Full Version : Whimbrel (A dirt bird)

Grace Scalzo
08-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Several years ago I commented on a whimbrel that Someone had posted and Artie referred to it as a "dirt" bird. The bird didn't look dirty to me :w3 and he explained that is his term for a common bird. Apparantly there are parts of the US where these are common birds, but not where I live. I have images of them from prior years but they are horrible, so I was happy to have some time with one tonight.

Thanks for looking and for your comments. I appreciate them all.

1/640, f8, iso800
Canon 1dx, 600f4 + 2.0tc + lowered rrs tripod

Normal post processing except for the ejection of part of a dowitcher from the left hand side.

Satish Ranadive
08-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Grace,
Excellent image of beautiful bird in very nice lights, I will not call him dirt bird, since I like.
I like the studio pose with very nice HA, beautiful colors, details,nice green and blue BG. I also like the wave along the legs.
If mine I would crop almost 1cm at the bottom.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
08-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Awesome low angle, "green flames" habitat BG, head angle - I especially appreciate the clear view of the central head stripe. I really like the single drop almost touching the water surface. I'd tone down the brighter spot behind the bill (perhaps desaturating with the sponge tool would work), and the foolowing next statement is highly personal...but I almost always prefer when there is separation of the legs when it comes to shorebirds. Super nice overall!!

Bill Dix
08-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Not a dirt bird in my book (which doesn't believe in dirt birds). Lovely light, POV, BG, et al. Perfect focus on the head; nice and sharp for 600x2. Good comments from Daniel.

Grace Scalzo
08-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Excellent observations from Daniel, Bill and Satish. Thank you all. Agree with you Daniel on the legs. From this series I made a compromise and chose the image that had the most pleasing head angle that showed that stripe and gave up the legs. The other ones are awkward.....just bad luck!

Rachel Hollander
08-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi Grace - beautiful light and HA with a nice low pov. Good observations above.

TFS,
Rachel

Daniel Cadieux
08-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your explanation Grace. There are often compromises to be done, and it sure sounds like you made the right one:S3:

Karl Egressy
08-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Nice image, Grace. It is rare here too. In fact I haven't seen one for years.

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Sweeeeeeeet!!! I am OK with legs as everything else is just fantastic!

Shawn Zierman
08-31-2013, 09:09 AM
I dig this setting for this species. This is a very difficult bird to find and or get close to in Minnesota. I would flip for an opportunity like this. Beautiful light, nice low angle, agree about the leg spacing (but only after it was pointed out...never really occurred to me before now).. I never see this species in the fall, so I've only seen adults in the spring...is this a juvenile?

gail bisson
09-01-2013, 11:57 AM
No such thing as a dirt shorebird! someone once told me to shoot every bird as if it would be the last time I ever saw it!So I often think of that when I see a common bird. anyway, this is a rare bird to see in Nova Scotia.
lovely light and HA! tack sharp as well with the 2X!
TFS Gail

Stu Bowie
09-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi Grace, great low angle, and a great pose and HA too. Good DOF on the Whimbrel, and I like the detail and colour captured. Just love that single droplet. :w3