PDA

View Full Version : Infrared trees

Diane Miller
08-29-2013, 06:15 PM
So many toys these days.... I haven't seen much (any?) IR here, so thought I'd toss some out. I had my old original Canon 5D converted to IR by LifePixel over a year ago, and have been having a lot of fun with it. I love what it does for trees.

This was shot with the 50mm f/1.8 that they use for a generic focus calibration unless you send in a lens. Focus is funky with my Canon 24-70 f/2.8, no idea why, but great with all my others, so I got that 50mm for general use. Inexpensive, lightweight and sharp, at least on this camera.

I love the effect when there are some clouds, as on the right here. I got one of the "color" filters which gives me great control over how dark the sky goes. The exposure changes greatly depending on how much blue sky is in the shot, so the histogram on the back of the camera is invaluable.

C&C always appreciated (and often implemented) :w3

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Diane,

Greetings. I find the different quality of detail really interesting. The detail of the tree trunk and branches against the leaves is pretty cool. Is it a challenge not to blow whites?

I've only seen a few IR shots here and there... just was reading an article today (Ctein on the Online Photographer) about IR and wide angle fov. Worth a read maybe.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

gary ellwein
08-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Diane, I find IR fascinating. The textures, detail and tonal range of this image are great. I am tempted to convert an old D200.

Diane Miller
08-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks, guys!

Michael, whites haven't been a big problem for me, but it can be done. The capture is very low contrast, at least with my sensor. Check www.LifePixel.com for a lot of info. (George Lepp recommended them a couple of years ago.) White balance is also a problem -- ACR doesn't go to a low enough WB. DPP does, but I've found I don't need to go below what I can get in ACR for a B/W. A "false color" rendering is a different story, but I got tired of them quickly.

I'll check out Ctein right now.

Gary, go for it!

IR is great when the light gets too harsh for color work, which is often most of the day. And it isn't limited to green trees. It can render porcelain skin tones and cuts through haze in landscapes. I love the images where you aren't sure if it's IR or not.

Cheryl Slechta
08-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi, Diane, I had my Canon 30D converted by Life Pixels several years ago and have posted IR images here from time to time. I love what it does to trees and it's great to be able to go out in the middle of a bright, sunny day and be able to shoot.:S3:

Judy Howle
08-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Very cool image! I'm not a big fan of IR but this one is nice, especially the trunk and leaves. I'd like the blue sky area to be a bit darker.

Anita Bower
08-31-2013, 11:39 AM
An interesting photo, with bark, leaves and clouds. I'm not a fan of infrared, so that colors (pun intended) my view. I have a f1.8 50mm lens that I love using.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-31-2013, 05:37 PM
It has a very oriental feel to me. I love all the textures and detail. Is that a cloud on the RHS?

Christopher Miller
08-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Beautiful image, Diane! I love IR images, particularly how it renders trees. I love all the details in the branches and leaves, and the subtle graduations in tone. Kind of reminds of a pencil drawing.

Diane Miller
08-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks, everyone! Yes, the bright area on the right is a cloud. I think making the sky a little darker is a good idea. There's a lot of leeway processing them with that filter.

I've always loved color, too, but IR gives a different look that I really like. Sometimes I shoot the same scene in color and in many cases, if it is bright sun, the IR is so much more attractive.