PDA

View Full Version : It can change in a minute...

gail bisson
08-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I went to my favorite beach yesterday 1 hour before low tide and walked out onto the muds flats and got myself hidden in some grasses and waited and waited and waited... The only bird I saw for 2 1/2 hours was a tatty black bellied plover that I have photographed before and some distant gulls.I was getting discouraged and sat up to stretch when I heard the "honk" and 2 GBH's landed near me. They were very skittish ( they saw me) and only stayed for a minute but I got a few shots with great sunset light. And so a disappointing outing becomes a successful outing.It can all change in a minute!
Canon 1DX
600mm and 1.4x
ISO 800
SS 1/1600
F 7.1
70% FF with a bit of canvas added to the right side.
PP :RAW converted to TIFF in DPP, crop, NR to BG, added canvas by moving a sliver from LHS to the RHS ( so no repeating patterns), levels, DE at 4% to bird only and USM to JPEG.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

David Salem
08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
That's wildlife photography for you! If you stick it out, you will be regarded with something good.
Love the light and the pose as it takes off with the water trail behind.
Great techs and detail. Well done Gail.

Daniel Cadieux
08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
You were rewarded by your patience!! Terrific image all around, from the action to the comp, colours, processing...and of course, my type of low angle:S3:

Miguel Palaviccini
08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Gail,

It can change in a minute ... and you better be there for it! 2.5 hours, that's some patience!

Great wing position captured here. The low angle is great, and I'm glad you kept some of that sky in the image.

Miguel

Diane Miller
08-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Wow -- this was worth sitting in the mud for 2 1/2 hours! Trail of water, wing position, BG -- all stunning! I think that is the "long lens technique" I most need to work on.

Grace Scalzo
08-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Your title sums up the essence of nature and especially bird photography. Good for you for staying alert and not missing the shot after all that sitting around. Now as for the image, it's wonderful. Full of interest and color and a great wing position to top it off.

Andrew Merwin
08-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Great BIF Gail. I like the BG because it provides a sense of place. Good techs & the water droplets add immeasurably to the image. TFS.

Stu Bowie
08-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi Gail, absolutely nailed!!! Very well timed for the take off, and just love the soft light. I really like the wing position you captured, good feather shown throughout, and the heron is nicely separated from the far bank BG. The trailing water takes this over the top. Well captured.

Raymond Lee
08-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Wow, spectacular shot! Great timing! Nice composition, details, angle, environment, and overall exposure. Only very very minor, just wish the chin is less bright.

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Very nice one! and what a beautiful light! Great to see the water droplets flying free! it gives motion to the image.

Satish Ranadive
08-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Spectacular image, Gail.
Love the take off pose with nice wing position, colors, details, flash of water and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
09-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Excellent image Gail! I like the setting, trailing water, details, water reflection under the wing, setting and composition.