PDA

View Full Version : Great Smoky Mountains Rapids

Cheryl Slechta
08-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, maybe not Class IV rapids but in Florida we'd call them rapids.:S3: I did some dodging and burning, slight sharpening, levels, and I think that's about it.
Canon 5DMark III, 17-40 f/4L @ 40mm, f/13, 1/10 sec., ISO 160, AP Priority. Downsizing compromised the sharpness a bit.
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

dankearl
08-29-2013, 09:49 PM
It looks plenty sharp to me.
I might have gone with a slower SS, but just a tad.
Easy to overdue it and you erred on the right side but maybe 1/6 or so would look a bit smoother.
I don't know the setting but if you could have got a bit lower, that would also would have looked nice for me.
An attractive scene..

Cheryl Slechta
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
I didn't like the saturation on the OP and went back to LR and started over. Increased exposure a little, did Curves and Shadow adjustments, then in CS6 I cropped and did slight USM. I think this looks much more natural and I like it better.:S3: I'm not sure what I did to the OP that created that over saturation - maybe selective color adjustments gone amuck!

Andrew McLachlan
08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi Cheryl, I am still hanging out at the cottage so reviewing on my smartphone, can't really comment on color and such, but I do like this comp quite a bit and do like the flow to the water. I generally avoid man-made elements in my images but the block wall works very well for this scene. Nicely done :)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

jack williamson
08-31-2013, 05:53 PM
The repost looks much better color wise, the first post was very crunchy.

Jack

Don Lacy
08-31-2013, 07:02 PM
The repost is much better I really like the comp and flow of the of the scene and the stone wall works really well here also.

Downsizing compromised the sharpness a bit.
Cheryl I would recommend the following three step sharpening work flow, first a very light round of capture sharpening when the image is open to counter the effects of the AA filter, after optimizing the image and resizing it you can do some creative sharpening and then finish with a sharpening pass for finale out put. The key is to save your creative and out put sharpening as the final steps and only after the image is sized for its finale use.

Cheryl Slechta
08-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Don for your comment and also thanks for the workflow tips. I usually do as you suggested with sharpening after downsizing and I'll leave my master image unsharpened. I think the problem with the OP was that I must have done a midtone contrast sharpen and did too much. I think I went through a "midtone contrast sharpen" phase on a bunch of images and hopefully I've gotten over it.:S3:

The repost is much better I really like the comp and flow of the of the scene and the stone wall works really well here also.

Cheryl I would recommend the following three step sharpening work flow, first a very light round of capture sharpening when the image is open to counter the effects of the AA filter, after optimizing the image and resizing it you can do some creative sharpening and then finish with a sharpening pass for finale out put. The key is to save your creative and out put sharpening as the final steps and only after the image is sized for its finale use.

Don Lacy
08-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Don for your comment and also thanks for the workflow tips. I usually do as you suggested with sharpening after downsizing and I'll leave my master image unsharpened. I think the problem with the OP was that I must have done a midtone contrast sharpen and did too much. I think I went through a "midtone contrast sharpen" phase on a bunch of images and hopefully I've gotten over it.:S3:
Its real easy to get hooked on mid tone contrast be careful:w3

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey Cheryl,
I like both versions....but I might tone down the brightest green areas a few points. Time to get some waders and go on in!!!