PDA

View Full Version : American Avocet in Flight

David Salem
08-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Caught this male in breeding plumage early this spring. He was the biggest male of the bunch and had the nicest colors too.
I was sitting watching the group of about 20 of them and this male would fly and chase any other male that even looked at him wrong.
I had it cropped different and at the last minute decided to change it. I had the water drops cut in half so the bird was more off center but I decided that I liked seeing the entire trail of water.

1DMKIV---700mm---f6.3---ss1/3200---ISO500---HH@5:45pm---20%crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David

Loi Nguyen
08-27-2013, 06:26 PM
David, I like the trail of water. The comp works for me. Nice flight pose and your usual good techs. Love the waves in the BG. Loi

dankearl
08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Must be Avocet day!
Your usual terrific plight photo, David, sharp, cool water drops, maybe more room at the bottom for me.

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Very striking bird indeed!. Love how you cought it in flight and the nice light. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I agree with leaving the water trail it always adds for me especially when you freeze the droplets like that. I have never gotten to shoot these beauties on breeding plumage but would love to. Getting one in flight is a plus too. I don't mind the motion blur on the wings but would love to see one with different wing position as well

Diane Miller
08-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Beautiful capture! Kudos as mentioned above, but I also wonder if it needs some CCW rotation, to level it by the ripples in the water?

David Salem
08-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Yes Dan it is Avocet day. Didnt you hear:).
I was uploading at the same time as Melissa.
Diane, I will try a little rotation and see how it looks. Thanks

Jonathan Ashton
08-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Lovely shot I like the pose fine detail and colours. I wonder if the crop is just a little tight, just a bit more space might help - but a minor issue, an excellent shot.

Karl Egressy
08-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Excellent take off flight shot, David. the trail of water droplets makes it dynamic.

Satish Ranadive
08-28-2013, 08:20 AM
David,
Excellent flight shot.Wonderful HA, beautiful colors,lights,BG and water trail. Love the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Lyle Gruby
08-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Beautiful bird and BG. Great IQ as usual. I'd add a little room at the bottom and on the RHS.

Stu Bowie
08-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi David, well exposed, and Im glad you changed your comp to include the droplet trail - it looks great, and we can even see the flight path of the avocet from the shape. With the raised wings, he is 'hogging' your frame, but would still try and add to the bottom, as long as it doesnt become too squarish.

gail bisson
08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Excellent technique to get this flight shot.
The whites look great.
I think it needs some CCW rotation and a bit more room at the bottom.
A+ on the water droplets!
gail

Melissa Groo
08-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Avocet flight shot, David. I was bummed I didn't get any flight shots in Montana of them, but the light was not on my side. I love the upturned feet, and the real sense of take off this image gives. Exposure is right on, and the details are terrific.
Isn't it amazing how aggressive they get during breeding season?

David Salem
08-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks again everyone for the comments. I appreciate it.

Melissa, it is amazing that they get very aggressive and territorial at that time of the year. This male was all over the place and had the whole group on their toes.
Funny you mentioned that because I have a cool aggressive action shot from this same shoot that I will post soon. Thanks

arash_hazeghi
08-28-2013, 11:53 PM
great dynamic pose and sharp details, I wish the far wing was fully raised and would try to get more detail in the blacks.

well done

Grace Scalzo
08-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Just in case you print this :w3, there is a small dust spot in the blues near the right side. A little rotaion to give him a slightly upward direction wouldn't hurt. Superb work as always, David.

David Salem
08-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.