PDA

View Full Version : Kits at play

Morkel Erasmus
08-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Time for some variety from me - I don't just photograph elephants and lions eh? :w3
Cape Fox kits playing around their den in the Kalahari desert. Taken at last light, hence the techs...

The Cape Fox is southern Africa's only true fox species.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
1.4x teleconverter
f7.1 | 1/400 SS | ISO-4000
EV +0.3
Supported on Badger beanbag over SUV window

Loi Nguyen
08-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Morkel, what a fun thing to watch and photograph! Love the interaction between the kits. The green bush and depression in the sand complement the image well. Do I see a little bit of a green cast here? Loi

Rachel Hollander
08-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi Morkel - a fun shot with good action and a low pov. I think the high ISO has taken a bit of a toll on IQ but that's because we're so used to blistering IQ from you. Still I'm glad you posted it. It's always nice to see a species not shown very often.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Hi Morkel, I'm with Rachels thoughts on this one, love the light and good choice in format, not sure what else I can say. :tinysmile_shy_t:

TFS
Steve

Brendon Cremer
08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi Morkel, nice image and interaction well captured. I dont think the ISO is the issue, being a D3s user i know what ISO4000 looks like and its far from a push for that camera. I would possibly say more than likely an issue of slow SS than anything else.

Stu Bowie
08-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi Mork, I like the playful interaction, especially the one on the right flying through the air. I feel the IQ is fine, just more ss needed, but we cant have it all when the light is fading. :w3

Russell Johnson
08-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Cute interaction here, Morkel. Would have to agree the IQ is just lacking in the critical places.

Perhaps another round of USM would help?

Morkel Erasmus
08-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Please elaborate where you feel the IQ is lacking? With the limited DOF I had with the 1.4x converter attached and the small size of these guys, I never bargained on getting both in focus and sharp. The one on the LHS was the one I was focusing on, and he looks good to my eyes? :e3 I think I could have perhaps been sloppy with the rendering of the BG, and could run some more NR on there.

Morkel Erasmus
08-29-2013, 04:44 PM
For interest' sake, here's a 100% crop of the kit on the left. From 4256px wide down to 1034px wide, no resizing and no processing.
Bear in mind the ISO here. Doesn't look like it suffered from slow SS...?

PS: the OP above is a crop to 3039px wide...

Russell Johnson
08-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Morkel, I think just needs an extra bump for web sharpening.

Excuse any dodgy masking

shane shacaluga
08-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Really like the interaction here. Is that hole from play digging or is that their den?

ISO 4000 WOW!! My ISO 4000 pics look like someone shot them with a sand blaster ;)

TFS

Andre Pretorius
08-30-2013, 05:12 AM
Nice moment captured Morkel! Like Russel's selective sharpening, the attention is focused more on the stationary cub, the jumping brother doesn't have to be sharp. I would crop a sliver off bottom. Well captured under difficult conditions. Will be looking out for them next Saturday:wave:

edwardselfe
08-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Stunning - the IQ looks ok to me and the small amount of motion blur on the rh kit only adds to the movement effect. Beautiful image and you stopped down just enough to maintain IQ without compromising SS. Good job.

Hope to be able to take shots at ISO 4000 one day but Canon users have to wait to afford a 1DX before we can do that!!!

Ed

Gregor Bergquist
08-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Morkel

As always a great picture. I´m very fond of pictures with interaction like this one. Tech wise it has been discussed a bit and I´m sure you will post a cracking repost.

TFS / Gregor