PDA

View Full Version : An Apple a Day...

Bill Dix
08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
This juvenile Red-bellied Woodpecker comes to the local lake every evening for a snack of crabapples. He will pick an apple, take it to an adjacent trunk, wedge it into the fork between two branches to hold it still, and pick at it to his satisfaction. BG was much too busy. I adjusted levels and contrast on the subject, ran a negative contrast on the BG, plus some blur. Removed several apples. Hope it works. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 1250, 1/320s @ f/9 manual, fill @ -1.7.

Grace Scalzo
08-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Nice work, Bill! I like the story being told. Your processing work looks good.

Loi Nguyen
08-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Bill, very cute and wonderful image/story here. Your filled flash looks very good, I wouldn't have known it just by looking at the image. BG is just a slight bit busy, would have been better had you opened the aperture more at the risk of not having the entire bird in focus. I'd suggest try open up next time though.

Loi

Melissa Groo
08-27-2013, 05:21 PM
I think it works great, Bill. I love the colors, the habitat, and your composition. I think your PP was just right.

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Cool-looking species and very well seen. I am happy to see new species all the time in this forum. Can't ask for a better soft light and complementary BG!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Wow a crabapple tree. We had one where I grew up in Pennsylvania right outside our door. I love that you caught this guy with one in his mouth. Detail looks good and I like the oof apples in the bg. I only wish for separation of the tail and branch .

Jonathan Ashton
08-28-2013, 04:28 AM
Lovely shot Bill, your PP was not only a good idea it worked very well indeed, the selections is amazing I can't fault it. The pose especially with the apple makes a for a very interesting and informative image. I had no idea woodies went for apples.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Bill,

Like the image, love the description that came with it. Nice work on the background - I can't find any evidence of it.

I would add a touch of sharpening to the head, and maybe enhance the catchlight just a tad.

Miguel

Satish Ranadive
08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Superb image along with nice story, Bill Sir.
Love the pose with apple in the beak,beautiful colors,perch with apples and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
08-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Nice image, Bill. The background looks very nice now. The bird with the apple in the beak looks good.

David Salem
08-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Nice looking action shot. Love the apple in the beak and the exposure looks good. Maybe a bit more sharpening to the bird. Good job on the cloning. Great looking frame.

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2013, 01:39 AM
very nice. I like the food, I wish the HA was a tad better and it looks like you had to apply too much NR. some texture is gone and the BG has a slight watercolor look to it.

TFS

Bill Dix
08-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.