PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Broadtail Humminbirds

Miguel Palaviccini
08-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Going back through the shots from a couple of weeks back, I found one that showed some interaction between two hummers. The interactions are usually short lived (at least in shooting location), so I was grateful to see this image as part of my keeper files.

Shooting info:
Nikon D800 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II + 1/4II (@280 mm)
1/250" | f/14 | ISO 200
Flash (set up by Doug B.) used as main light source

Matthew Studebaker
08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
that male is just so stunning. great to have them interacting as well. beautiful image.

Richard Flack
08-27-2013, 11:05 AM
What an awesome action shot. Well done!

Diane Miller
08-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes, stunning is the right word! I don't mind that one is not sharp. DOF is very small with this magnification so it would be very unlikely to get both in the same plane, and then you wouldn't have one facing you.

Bill Dix
08-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Beautiful shot, Miguel. Love the wing and flight position of the male. I'm glad you kept it to show the interaction. You couldn't do much about the DOF without some cooperation from the female. A version with just the male would also be lovely. The image looks just a tad bright on my screen.

Markus Jais
08-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Stunning shot. Great wing pose. The 2nd bird is a wonderful bonus here. Fantastic sharpness.

Markus

Melissa Groo
08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Miguel, that background, and the colors and position of the bird on the left are stunningly beautiful. I love the idea of the interaction, that makes it so much more interesting than a solitary shot, and yet I find myself wishing the one on the right were more in focus. But not possible, I know. Like Bill, I also think it would be worth having another version with just the bird on left, as it is so spectacular.

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Very nice image. As a hummer lover I have to say that this is a very nice species so thanks for sharing. My only wish is if famale was more in focus would make for a stronger image, but it fine as is. I guess the beautiful fanned tail of the male makes for that.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Miguel, I have to agree here with everyone because the colors are great, the bird on the left is great and nice n sharp, the interaction is awesome BUT... the image as a whole is not working for me. I so appreciate the attempt and it would rock if only the bird on the right was in focus. If this were mine and of course a matter of opinion, This would probably be one of those images where I decided to go against my normal wish to keep images close to as is as possible and just go with it. I would crop the left bird vertical (but maybe even horiz) and do my best to rid of the other with some cloning and make it a solo..

vishaljadhav
08-28-2013, 06:56 AM
I like the over all idea of this, as capturing the interaction is what is the bottom line here
but then with such small birds getting a big DOF is a problem as you are too close,
In term of details the left bird is a amazing stunner as its perfect in pose details and colours, love it

Miguel Palaviccini
08-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! I tried a crop of the hummer alone, but I just didn't feel the same impact. Wish I could have gotten them both in the same plane of focus, but that wasn't the case.

Stu Bowie
08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Hi Miguel, love the inflight pose of the HB on the left, and showing superb detail and sharpness. The graduated BG couldnt have been better. I realise with these setups that DOF may be an issue if both subjects arent on the same plain, but there again, if they were, we wouldnt see the angled pose that you managed to capture so well.

arash_hazeghi
08-28-2013, 11:59 PM
for this type of shots both birds need to be parallel to the camera to be sharp. the upper one is great, the lower one not so much...

Ted Ellis
08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Miguel, I have to agree here with everyone because the colors are great, the bird on the left is great and nice n sharp, the interaction is awesome BUT... the image as a whole is not working for me. I so appreciate the attempt and it would rock if only the bird on the right was in focus. If this were mine and of course a matter of opinion, This would probably be one of those images where I decided to go against my normal wish to keep images close to as is as possible and just go with it. I would crop the left bird vertical (but maybe even horiz) and do my best to rid of the other with some cloning and make it a solo..

Miguel, I agree with Cheryl's thoughts. Two hummers in the same DOF and in focus is one of if not the most difficult shot in bird photography. Keep trying. I am too...many close but no cigars.

Ted

Amol Khedgikar
08-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Great interaction Miguel, The bird in focus is pretty sharp as well.

Great use of flash, its perfect lighting by that. love the details n the fanned tail...

Have you relocated to NM?

Miguel Palaviccini
08-31-2013, 08:58 AM
Have you relocated to NM?

Amol, yes I am in Albuquerque, NM.