PDA

View Full Version : Rosseau River

Andrew McLachlan
08-26-2013, 07:44 PM
A scene along the Rosseau River, which is about a half hour drive from my family cottage in Ontario's Muskoka Region. Not much rainfall lately so water levels are very low...usually this scene would be under water. I have been wanting to try out Nikon's new 18-35mm lens due to the light weight and excellent sharpness it offers. So far I like it and my persistent back problems like it too.

A touch of Nik/Google's Detail Extractor and minimal sharpening applied.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens 2 34mm
ISO 400
f16 @ 2.5 sec.
Nikon polarizer

Look forward to comments.

dankearl
08-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Andrew,
Nice scene and nice SS.
It looks a tad over sharp to me, a bit more softness to the water would look good for me.

Morkel Erasmus
08-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Just shows how behind I am in product releases, Andrew - had to go look up the new 18-35mm lens :Whoa!:.
I like the comp and visual flow here, but to me the contrast looks a bit flat and the colours look off? There's a lot of apparent magenta visible in the rocks and even in the blurred water? Or am I going crazy? :e3

Andrew McLachlan
08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks Dan and Morkel, much appreciated. The rock here does have a dark reddish tone to it but will play around with reducing the magenta and adjusting contrast. It was a windy evening as you can see from the motion in the trees. This bugs me a little and I did wonder if the blurring in the trees does not work well with the rock in this image. Will post another at lower ISO and longer shutter in a new thread in a day or so.

Cheryl Slechta
08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Hi, Andrew, I kind of like the wind in the trees (I bet you knew I'd say that:S3:). It does seem to have a magenta cast to it.

Alan Lillich
08-30-2013, 07:54 PM
I really like the nested curves of the rock and water. And the way the dark rock flows into the white water at the bottom making an S curve. Did you consider removing most of the trees at the top? I like it better cropped just below the bit of red foliage atbthe top right.

Don Lacy
08-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi Andrew, I really like the comp and flow of the image I also see some magneto in the water not much but just a tad and the rocks to me look slightly over sharpen

Andrew McLachlan
09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the additional comments Cheryl, Allan and Don...much appreciated!