PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Sunrise

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Greetings. Taken just before sunrise.
D4 300f/2.8 + TC20EIII (600 mm) 1/400 f/8 ISO1600 HH/elbow-knee pod
NR sharpening, cloned out some floating spots, original underexposed about a stop, boosted in post. Large crop.

Taken at the Camargue in France.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Rachel Hollander
08-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi Michael - I like the symmetry here and the reflections. The square comp works well too. There's a very slight magenta cast to the bg which may be intentional and due to the time of day. I think the large crop and underexposure have produced limited details but still a pleasing image overall.

TFS,
Rachel

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks for commenting, Rachel. The magenta is due to the (just) pre-dawn light.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Iain Barker
08-28-2013, 04:28 AM
This is a nice subdued image.

I think a vertical crop would also work but would involve cropping even more which may be too much.

Bill Jobes
08-28-2013, 04:41 AM
This is a very peaceful scene beautifully captured, processed and presented, Michael.

Andrew Merwin
08-28-2013, 09:20 AM
A lovely image. I really like the simplicity of this image. TFS.

allanrube
08-28-2013, 10:19 AM
I like the peaceful feeling a lot. The magenta cast has been noted as well as your reaon for keeping it. Have you tried reducing it?

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Ian, Bill, Andrew, Allan,

Thanks much for the comments. In the underexposed sooc version the magenta is quite prominent and processing (correcting underexposure) seemed to dissipate the magenta greatly. Allan, I did a neutralized magenta version (above, Lab mode curves on a & b channels) and was quite surprised by how much magenta was retained in the OP. Between the two versions, I'm too close to it now, but I'm itching to warm up the neutralized version.

Cheers,

-Michael-

jack williamson
08-30-2013, 07:38 PM
I like the original best, the color looks correct for the time of day. The softness of this image works very well as the first light of dawn is very soft.

Jack

Jeff Cashdollar
09-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Michael,

The colors are beautiful and make the image unique...

Really like this...made a connection when I first saw it..the mark of a great and balanced image IMO. Not sure if a tiny catch-light might help...maybe not..on balance a great moment..and photograph and thanks to you I am there!