View Full Version : Swallow-tailed Kite Calling

Bill Foxworthy
05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Little Manatee River State Park
Canon 40D, 400 f/5.6L
1/3200, f/7.1, ISO 400, Center Wgtd Avg Metering. Mid Morning

Grace Scalzo
05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
A beautiful bird. I like the calling pose and the strong diagonals included here. There is something about the comp that feels unbalanced to me, and I think it is that the bird's eye is centered on the vertical. If this is cropped, maybe try including more on the right side?? (Maybe it's just me that sees this, too)

Robert Amoruso
05-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Bill,

Excellent effort. I like the composition and only might consider a bit more at the bottom to give the tail room. Getting the call is over the top so kudos there.

The head looks a bit unsharp so I suggest sharpening it a bit more. I looks like the body grabbed focus. Use One-Shot and focus on the eye and recompose or choose a sensor to put on the eye and get it sharp that way

Jim Poor
05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen one of these perched. Totally different than what I expected.

Nice to get the open beak. Maybe a little selective sharpening on the eye would help, but it is certainly not bad the way it is.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Great calling pose, exposure control and details. I would also like to see a bit more room at the bottom.

Rich Ikerd
05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Wonderful post Bill - can't remember seeing an image of a STK on a perch. I'm in the little more room on the bottom - but other than that - great image.

Arthur Morris
05-07-2008, 07:56 PM
EXP excellent. And yes, wider would work for me. Toning down the electric blue SAT would likely help. Lastsly, the BKGR looks lumpy/posterized from here...