PDA

View Full Version : Green Honeycreeper

Bill Dix
08-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Juan Carlos' striking image of this species the other day made me realize I had never posted this one from Panama last year. It also made me wonder about the color. I had thought mine was accurate, but it looks noticeably more blue than his, so I may have a bluish cast. Perhaps Juan Carlos, or someone else familiar with the species, might offer their opinion.

D7000, 8-0f400VR @ 370mm, ISO 2000, 1/400s @ f/7.1 manual.

Karl Egressy
08-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Perfect pos with the right amount of head turn. IQ is excellent. Background is nice and very smooth. Great work Bill, I'm glad that you found this image.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Bill,

Glad you went back to find this one. Can't comment on the color, but the rest (details, pose, perch, background etc) all look great to me.

Miguel

dankearl
08-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Beautiful bird Bill, and super IQ as usual.
If you have room in front, I would move it to the left a bit.

Joe Senzatimore
08-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Can't help with the color , but I think the image is stunning. Perhaps just a slight bit off the left side???

Satish Ranadive
08-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Excellent image, Bill Sir.
Beautiful colors with very nice details.Love the pose with nice HA, yellow beak and great BG. TFS.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
08-26-2013, 02:09 AM
very cool! I like the pose and details, nice BG too

Steve Zamek
08-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Beautiful image Bill. The color of this bird does, indeed, look considerably more blue than what I've seen in Costa Rica.

Greg Basco
08-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi, Bill. Nice exposure, and I like the framing on this one. This guy does look a bit blue. I would warm up the blue/green a bit on the bird but not too much. They really should be called turquoise/green honeycreeper as they are not straight green in my experience.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Hello Bill, back home after some guiding!
Pretty male, nice perch and pose. I like the fact that you were able to get some details on the dark hood/mask. I agree with you that this image could use a tad of colour warming since it looks a bit cool for me. I believe their colour is not green as is the female, but more turquoise. Also, depending on how much light hits the feathers, these can look bluish and sometimes greenish.

Bill Dix
08-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Thank you Greg, Juan Carlos, and everyone else. Here's a repost with a Warming Filter at 25% opacity, plus just a little further tweak in Color Balance. That's more intervention than I thought it would take, but he still looks pretty blue (indicating, I guess, just how far into the blue spectrum the OP was). Does this look closer to reality to your tropically experienced eyes? Thanks for the help.

Greg Basco
08-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Bill, IMO, the blue could still go just a bit greener as it looks on my calibrated monitor. As Juan Carlos said, though, there is some variation in these guys.

Cheers,
Greg