PDA

View Full Version : Grey-backed Camaroptera

Richard Flack
08-25-2013, 05:11 AM

Have you ever heard the sound that insects make when hitting an electric fence or the sound of rocks banging together or the vocalization of lambs? If so, you may well have heard a grey-backed camaroptera.
Personally I prefer its previous name; grey-backed bleating warbler.

Date taken: 08 August 2011
Photo details:
Canon EOS 7D
400mm f2.8
ISO 200
Shutter speed 1/2000
Approx 75% crop, selective sharpening

Richard Flack
08-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Quick edit of title - meant to be grey-backed not green-backed :)

gail bisson
08-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Hi Richard,
A lovely little bird.
Your IQ on the bird is very good and you have a lovely clean BG that compliments the bird very nicely.
My biggest bugaboo with this image is the size of the perch. It overwhelms the little bird. I would clone out the vertical branch on the right (if your ethics allow you) as well as the newly exposed yellow wood on the main branch.
Personally I prefer to see little birds in a full side on view to see more of their plumage but that is a personal taste issue.
Finally- what was your aperture? Was it 2.8? If so, why?
Gail

jack williamson
08-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Nicely detailed little bird, I don't think I have seen this one before, love that orange eye and wish I could see more of that yellow wing. Can't help what perch they choose but like Gail I would remove the oof branch or at the least tone it down. Bg could use some NR.

Jack

Robert Kimbrell
08-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Nice sharpness and exposure, B/g is very nice and displays the bird well. I also would be tempted to clone out the the vertical branch.

Alan Murphy
08-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Nice sharp details. I'm with Gail on the perch. A vertical crop would also make a stronger image IMO.

Karl Egressy
08-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Nice bird and background but the perch is over powering.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Hey Richard,

Not much you can do about this guy landing on that perch. I think you executed it well! I would take Alan's suggestion and see what it looks like as a vertical (before attempting any removal of the upright portion).

The detail and color is splendid. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Miguel

Daniel Cadieux
08-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Beautiful bird and I like the perky posture it has taken atop the perch...speaking of which, yes it is quite large for this tiny fella. If these guys respond to audio you could control which perch it lands on (if that is something you are not opposed to). Very good IQ, nice warm tones throughout. Fixed the title for you:S3:

Richard Flack
08-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for all the replies. I am loving this forum and the ability to learn from you.
Definitely unanimous... remove the oof branch. Alan, thanks so much for the idea to crop the image vertically! I have re-posted a quick crop of what this would look like and I personally like it. (Please excuse the fact that I have not done any selective sharpening).

Richard Flack
08-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Gail, here is a quick image of the side view of the bird (for interest sake). Please excuse the post-processing as I did this quickly. Thanks again.