PDA

View Full Version : Sunset

Judy Howle
08-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Sunset last night with a little highlights split toning for pinkish red added in Lightroom. Then I used Topaz Clarity to boost contrast a bit.
f4.5, 1/80 sec, ISO 400 Canon 5D Mk II

Diane Miller
08-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Love the subtle colors with wisps of mauve in the blue clouds, and wonderful crisp horizon.

As with your other sunset, I'm not so sure about the ripples in the water -- they sort of bring me back to earth when I want to be lost in the surreal clouds. But that's a small point.

dankearl
08-25-2013, 02:09 AM
Judy,
Exceptional muted color and a very nice subdued pastel feeling to this.
The reflection with the ripples works for me, because it is
natural in what would otherwise be a nice tranquil but static scene.

Morkel Erasmus
08-25-2013, 04:42 PM
You get some nice sunsets, Judy! Though I do agree with Dan's feeling that the ripples work here, I do think it's worth investing in some filters so you can experiment some more (as it seems you are regularly shooting these skies with just water - is it from your porch?)

I would suggest getting a nice 10-stop ND filter (like a Lee Big Stopper) and playing around with that to get some silky milky lake surfaces using long exposures...

Rachel Hollander
08-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi Judy - nice dramatic cloud and I too like the pastel colors. Ripples don't bother me but it would be interesting to see some long exposures.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
08-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi Judy, always love your sunsets and this one is no exception. Very nicely done. I like what you did with Topaz Clarity...I love that filter. I like Morkel's suggestion for trying out some long exposures...I think you could do some wonderful work with them :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
08-26-2013, 03:56 PM
HI Judy, lovely sky as always! I think it would do well with a little more contrast added. I like what the clarity slider in ACR does for clouds like this, rather than using the contrast slider. Some good suggestions about using a filter for the water. It might add to the atmosphere of the image. Alternatively, you could include some more FG elements, if there are any that may provide interesting silhouettes in front of the lake.

Cheryl Slechta
08-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Judy, you do get some lovely sunsets where you live:S3: I think I'd remove the 4 black spots in the water - one on the left, one on the right and one a little to the right of middle and then one in between the right and middle one below the shoreline.

Don Lacy
08-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi Judy if you want to experiment with long exposure with out buying the ND filter yet use the following camera settings, set ISO to low set your aperture to f/16 or f/22 and if you have it use a polarizer you will need to shoot in bulb and have a a locking remote shutter release start out leaving the shutter open for one minute and adjust your time from the histogram to get a proper exposure if the image is to dark ad time to bright subtract time.