PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy dog

Diane Miller
08-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I don't have Fractalius on my Mac, so tried the oversharpened look as an alternative. It's odd how when I click the layer off, the original, which is tack sharp, looks like it had a dose of Nik's Glamour Glow. Visual perception is a strange thing.

Canon 5D3, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS at 115, f/8, ISO 400, 1/125, HH.

Christopher Miller
08-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Very nice image, Diane! Great subject for scratch art. I wonder if you could reduce the sharpening just a little on the dog's face while still keeping the scratch art look.

I know what you mean about visual perception. Whenever I use an Orton effect on an image, it causes the original to look all oversharpened.

Diane Miller
08-24-2013, 09:03 PM
I did that a little, but not enough, I think. This one just doesn't look good at full size.

Judy Howle
08-24-2013, 11:10 PM
I think it works well for creating scratch art. My suggestion is to paint over the iris and pupil of the eye a little to make the color more even. And also the nose.

Diane Miller
08-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Actually, I did that, too, and the mouth, but again not enough. Need to do some sculpting of the body shape, too -- she was shot in soft light but went too flat with this treatment.

I have the same problems with Ortons, too, Christopher. They make the original look terrible! (Or maybe I only do them on terrible originals...)

Kerry Perkins
08-24-2013, 11:55 PM
I think the effect worked really well for the theme. Some good suggestions, but I like it as presented also. Nice scratchy texture and a good looking dog as well!

Anita Bower
08-25-2013, 04:49 AM
You were creative to use oversharpening to achieve the scratch look. It worked. As I look at the image, I notice every detail of the dog--the rolls of skin, the curving tongue, the gleam in the eye, the colors of the coat, the perky ears. I like the OP.

Paul Lagasi
08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Cute dog, nicely composed image. I suppose I should have read what this weeks theme is.
Nice work, good use of filters, I wonder if this would look better for theme in B & W. Just a thought

Jackie Schuknecht
08-25-2013, 10:27 AM
I think I concur with a little less sharpening, and maybe masking back in the softer areas, e.g., eyes, nose, tongue. But great creativity to use the sharpening filter for the theme.

Cheryl Slechta
08-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Diane, this works for me! I love all the detail in the dog's coat.:S3:

Cindy Cone
08-28-2013, 01:44 PM
This also works well for me. I "borrowed" from some of your techniques for my scratch attempt. Thanks! (Also don't have Fractalius on my Mac.) Great original portrat.