PDA

View Full Version : Previsualization viewfinder option?

Erik Hagstrom
08-24-2013, 11:22 AM
I am curious to know if anyone has come across either third party drop-in screens or camera software that allows the user to display various formats (8x10, 16x9, etc) in the viewfinder of Canon pro DSLR's. Or does anyone know the relationship of the Grid marks the camera's display in the viewfinder to classic formats? I'm looking to be able to have reference marks visible in the viewfinder so that I have a better idea of the composition of an image with respect to classic photographic print sizes. I haven't been able to find this in the 5D mk III manual or the 1Dx (just about how to turn the grid on which I use). For now I just leave a fair amount of room around the image when composing. I suppose I could try and place tape or something on the LCD screen and use live view.

Thanks

Mike Milicia
08-24-2013, 03:29 PM
If using Live View is an option, the "Add Cropping Information" custom function may help. It's under "C.fn 3: Others" (Page 320) on the 5DII and "C.Fn 6 : Others" (Page 335) on the 1DX.

Erik Hagstrom
08-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks Mike,

I haven't been a big user of Live View. But perhaps this will help push me to try it out more. :S3: Now if only Canon had the option to somehow have the cropping info visible in the viewing screen!