PDA

View Full Version : iView Media Pro vs Expression Media on Mac

Van Hilliard
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I've been hesitant ( for a year) to switch to Microsoft's version of Media Pro because of past experience with some Microsoft products. Do any of you have any reports on how Expression Media works compared to the latest edition of IView Media Pro? I'm especially interested in how it has been working on the Mac but accounts of PC experience would be helpful as well.
Thank you,
Van

Nancy A Elwood
05-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Since iView Media Pro would no longer be supported, I switch over to EM when MS offered the free upgrade. From a PC perspective, I have been very happy. They now have their Version 2 out which is much better, with very nice features, which include a undocking light table that works very nicely to preview images. Version 2(EM2) is now ready for trial download at http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Overview.aspx?key=media Also here are a few links that might help you, which also include MAC discussions of the program.

http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/media/threads/
http://blogs.msdn.com/xmediasupport/archive/2008/04.aspx

Hope this helps

Van Hilliard
05-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks, Nancy. I knew the program was no longer being supported but I really loved the way iView enabled me to handle my files. To my surprise, it also dealt with files (RAW) from cameras (Nikon as well as Canon) that hit the market after iView was taken over by Microsoft. Based on your comments, I'll try a trial of the program.

One question: Did the iView version remain on your computer when Expression Media was added? I don't want a trial copy of a program to overwrite the program I use every day.

Thank you very much,
Van

Nancy A Elwood
05-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Yes, the two can exist on your computer with no problems. I had them both on mine for awhile. The programs creat .ivc files for each catalog you creat, which by default, are in the program folders for each program, ie, C/program Files/iView or C/program files/Expression Media. I moved those to My Documents, but you can move them anywhere, so now when I update or upgrade none of my catalogs will be overridden.

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Van,

MS Expressions Media working well for me though I am really behind in getting my act together regarding DAM. I had iViewMedia and received the free upgrade.

David Kennedy
05-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I have been extremely disappointed with the way Microsoft has handled their acquisition of iView Media Pro. Their Expression Media 1.0 was iView Media Pro 3.0 with different icons and all-new, debilitating bugs. Then, when they finally fixed those problems via "Expression Media Service Pack 1" (to become EM vers. 1.0.9038, the only way I could find out about it was through the rumor mill. To download the update was like getting clearance to go into a nuclear facility: I had to get a "Windows Live One" ID (really Hotmail with a fancy name), and then request a download password. I requested it several days in a row, and waited about a week before it was finally e-mailed to me. Now I'm finding out about the EM 2, but only because Nancy mentioned it in this thread (thank you for that, Nancy!). They have my e-mail address, as well as my "Live One" address, but they seem to have no interest in telling their customers about updates. WTF, Microsoft...wtf...

Van Hilliard
05-08-2008, 10:24 PM
David,
It was this type of experience with Microsoft that caused my hesitation to begin with. Thanks for your post. I hope that you –– and I, for that matter –– get this worked out.
Robert, Thanks for your comments. I assume you are using the version you originally downloaded.

I'm worried about those bugs David mentioned. I'm going to download Expression Media but keep iView active for now. If I have problems, I guess I'll have to get my own clearance for Microsoft's nuclear facility.

Thanks everybody,
Van

David Kennedy
05-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Peter Krogh, author of The DAM Book, operates a forum devoted to the topic of DAM software, and they have a permanent section on Expression Media. You might want to read through the threads: http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=f9bfef7e9f7d424d2b0f611ff8a4cf 57&board=31.0

Also, I just discovered, care of that forum, that I am not running the most recent version, which can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CCE477E8-6A2E-4D40-8609-0A976E8B645F&displaylang=en. Time to see if I can actually download it...UPDATE: Yes, and without a password. That's a positive change since my last update experience. But why is Expression Media incapable of telling me there are updates available in the first place???

After looking at Microsoft's upgrade pricing scheme, I must admit I'm dumbfounded that they expect owners of "1.0" to pay for the upgrade to EM 2. Umm...what was different in EM 1 from the software we had before? Can you say "nothing?" Oh, except some bugs that weren't fixed for months...Probability I'll shell out $100 to upgrade? 0.0 2007 was my last year of images archived in iView/Expression Media. Everything forward is in Lightroom.

Van Hilliard
05-10-2008, 06:37 AM
David,
I've read Krogh's book but never had checked the website. Thanks. I think it will be helpful.

Van