PDA

View Full Version : Common darter (M) Dragon tamed!

Jonathan Ashton
08-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Tripod, Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro & 1.4 TC ISO 200 +0.66 1/80 sec f11
So I guess you are wondering how to tame a dragon and get it to perch where you want it to? Well here goes:

Find a small blade of flexible grass.
Get a cook's matchstick
Attach the grass to the matchstick with spider gossamer
Now you have a miniature whip.......

No seriously I watch where the dragons like to perch and I replace the current perch with a different one..... then you wait and wait. I am sure you have got the message! Lots of patience.:w3
The dragon was back lit so I used a reflector to fill in.

All C&C welcome

Diane Miller
08-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Beautiful! I didn't know they would accept a replacement perch. Good to know!

Jonathan Ashton
08-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Diane this is a hunch nothing more but I reckon they choose perches becasue of the direction of the sun and air currents. Frequently I have noticed they have two or even three favourite perches, one often being a stone where they warm up.

Stu Bowie
08-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Hi Jon, well worked out, and I like the slight rim light surrounding the body. The colourful OOF BG looks good.

Anita Bower
08-25-2013, 05:09 AM
Patience--lack of it is why I don't take photos of dragonflies. I'm glad you do. Excellent pose, perch, composition. Beautiful bg. The body is sharp but the wings aren't. Is that because they were moving?

Jonathan Ashton
08-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Patience--lack of it is why I don't take photos of dragonflies. I'm glad you do. Excellent pose, perch, composition. Beautiful bg. The body is sharp but the wings aren't. Is that because they were moving?

Not so much movement Anita it is really a question of the DOF, the plane of focus is along the head to tail so from a lateral viewpoint it is impossible to get the wings completely in focus.

Steve Maxson
08-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi Jon. Nice job of "training" your subject! - and good use of the reflector to add some light where you needed it. Good head-to-tail sharpness and the background has a nice "woodland pond" look to it. If anything, I might wish that the wing was positioned back just a bit so we could see the entire head - a minor point - but some species like to perch with their wings pointed forward like this. Very nicely done!