PDA

View Full Version : Into the Void

Steve Zamek
08-21-2013, 06:56 PM
This photo of a juvenile Brown Pelican diving for a fish was taken along he central coast of California last week. The fog was beginning to roll in, and had nearly enveloped the nearby mountains, but the bird remained illuminated by sunlight that still peeked through the approaching cloud cover.

Not the prettiest specimen in the world (would have preferred adult plumage), but I like the setting.

A bit of canvas was added below.

1D Mark IV, 500 mm, ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/4000

Arthur Morris
08-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Love the image design, the fog, and the inclusion of the mountain tops. The bird is over-done: to much contrast and a little too saturated. A lovely dorsal view but the bird's head is unfortunately angled away from us.

Morkel Erasmus
08-22-2013, 03:49 AM
I really like this one. Artie's raised some good finer points of critique to which I cannot add now.

Daniel Cadieux
08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Way cool concept! I love the mountains and the pelican's graphic pose. The high-key treatment works well. A few pointers already offered worth a try...

Stu Bowie
08-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Steve, great diving pose with symmetrical wing positions, and an unusual BG of fog. If this were mine, I would have cropped from the top to eliminate the mountain.

gail bisson
08-22-2013, 06:48 PM
I really like the idea of this shot.
I like the mountain and the fog but find the bird looking over-processed.I think there is too much contrast and sharpening.
Gail