PDA

View Full Version : I'm Ninja!

Loi Nguyen
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
This is an image of a Long Crested Eagle taken at Sosian Ranch, Laikipia, Kenya. Reminds me of the Ninja!

1DX
500f4 II +1.4X III
1/1000
f5.6
ISO-800
BLUBB Bean Bag

Minimal PP, added Clarity 10, Vibrance 10 in LR4, exported to CS6 for NR reduction of BG and sharpening of the subject.

Appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Loi

PhilCook
08-21-2013, 07:02 PM
hahahaha.....Ninja indeed !

Piercing eye and stare on this one, he/she has positioned itself nicely on the branch out in full view which is always a great bonus, that crest is excellent, harsh light, but well controlled....I'd take a sliver more off the top

Arthur Morris
08-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Nice bird, nice Ninja. Blacks look overdone, especially on the head and face--lightened too much and thus a bit noisy. Did you use NIK Detail Extractor? A crop from the left and above would tighten this one up nicely.

Loi Nguyen
08-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Thank you Phil & Artie for your comments. No, I didn't use NIK. I overexposed the bird in camera, then reduced the exposure by -0.5EV in LR4. In this RP, I knocked down the exposure by another -0.25EV. Took some off the left and top as suggested and also rotated the image CW a little bit. Hope you like it better.

Artie, looking forward to see your wonderful shots from Africa!

Loi

arash_hazeghi
08-22-2013, 01:54 AM
he does look like a ninja. I like the repost

Arthur Morris
08-22-2013, 03:01 AM
Thank you Phil & Artie for your comments. No, I didn't use NIK. I overexposed the bird in camera, then reduced the exposure by -0.5EV in LR4. In this RP, I knocked down the exposure by another -0.25EV. Took some off the left and top as suggested and also rotated the image CW a little bit. Hope you like it better.

Artie, looking forward to see your wonderful shots from Africa!

Loi

Way to go on the repost. The blacks look much more natural, as does the crop. Stay tuned to the blog and Bulletins for tons of Africa stuff.

Morkel Erasmus
08-22-2013, 03:49 AM
A rare eagle to see, let alone get a good shot of! :5
Good job on the repost...

Iain Barker
08-22-2013, 10:15 AM
This is a very nice image Loi and the repost improves it.
I am not sure if it still needs a slight bit more cw rotation. I noticed it more on the OP but the bird looks like it is leaning back slightly. Might just be me though.

Daniel Cadieux
08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
I was going to suggest placing the subject a bit higher in the frame, so I'm glad to see the improved re-post! Nice simple comp with good details in the blacks. Nifty perch too. Hmmm...Iain may have a point about slight rotation...

Stu Bowie
08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi Loi, I live in africa, and dont see these guys when visiting our national parks. :w3 Love the concentrated stare, and your repost has sorted both the comp and exposure. Great perch - not overpowering at all.

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Killer eagle and nice title! repost looks way better, thanks a ton for sharing.

Loi Nguyen
08-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm glad you like the RP. Yes, I think it can use a wee bit more rotation CW.

Stuart, I didn't know how lucky I was to see these guys 4 or 5 times on my recent trip! It makes the images and memory more precious.

Thank you.

Loi

David Salem
08-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Nice capture Loi. The Eagle looks great with the crest up and I like the stare and that the eye isnt shaded. The blacks do look better in the repost and I would still add some more rotation. Good find.

Satish Ranadive
08-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Loi,
Every thing has been said about this beautiful image. Love the re post.

Regards,
Satish.