PDA

View Full Version : Just a portrait

Stan Cunningham
08-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Took a vertical of this bear as he got closer. FF with no crop.
Posted it for a couple reasons, I like all the colors from the bear and the background.
It also shows something bears can do that many mammals can't. They can focus the 2 eyes in 2 different directions.
As a former bear researcher I had no idea they could do that, and when I first noticed in in 2006 I sent photos to all my fellow bear researchers, none of us knew.
Canon 1D MK IV, f 9 (to get some dof since the bear was close) at 1/320 sec, 500 ISO.
LR 4, CS5, still a neophyte at using curves but it sure helped with this image as did S/H and some nik filters.
Comments are always appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
08-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi Stan - interesting about the eyes and vertical was the way to go. The colors look good including the bit of red/blood on the mouth area. My guess from your intro is that you may have used Nik Detail Extractor and if so, I think it is a bit too strong. I would also apply a bit of NR to the bg.

TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
08-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi Stan, very nice portrait of this powerful bear. I'd be more scare standing in front of this guy than in a safari vehicle any day! Rachel gave you good advice. I also thought the colors and contrast on the bear are too strong. I also wonder whether a bit less sharpening would help with the wet fur. Loi

Bill Jobes
08-21-2013, 10:27 AM
This is an impressive shot, Stan. Your lower angle perspective strongly emphasizes the power of the animal and the potential risk in photographing these wondrous creatures.

As an expert in the field (sorry about the pun), I'm sure you know your proximity limits. With all the aggressive bear reports lately, it reminds me that care must be taken under these circumstances.

I happen to like a lot your treatment of the photo. My only suggestion would be to consider toning down just slightly, the brightness of the stream rocks in the FG.

Steve Kaluski
08-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi Stan, the low POV is the way to go and I quite like the slight tilt and HA.

The image however looks heavily lightened, especially in the shadow (H/S is not the tool, it's too aggressive Stan, was the image under exposed), also the rim around the ears should have some tone/detail. The fur should be rich & thick, with depth, this I feel was lost in the PP. Wet fur can also be a nightmare when it comes to sharpening, but again I feel it just doesn't look right, smooth in parts which contrasts against the other, crisper areas. I would also look at reducing the green of the grass, as although vegetation in Alaska is lush around this time, I do feel it's a little green. With a posture like this I think a landscape would have suited the image, having the whole body in would have also brought scale to the overall subject, the cropping on the RHS is I feel a little awkward looking.

Stan I love bears, as a lot of people know on here, so apologies if it's a little harsh, but I just want you to make the most of your images. I'm away and it's not ideal, but if you would like me to take a look at the RAW and give you some pointers I am happy to do so.

TFS
Steve

Stan Cunningham
08-21-2013, 11:59 AM
To all , thanks for the comments as it always improves the image. Rachel, I don't use detail extractor unless it in the white areas of a bird or mammal, that filter is too strong for me.
I've made the suggestions and then looked at it zoomed and this is what a wet bear looks like. These guys are in the water >50% of the time this time of year, the ratty look is a coat transition from winter to summer to winter. I saw all 3 transitions while I was there. It's certainly not as attractive as a dry bear or what they will look like mid September when they have their winter coats. Only been lucky enough to shoot them in that coat once.

Steve, I DON'T take your comments as harsh but helpful. I post here to continue learning, and that's my primary reason. I don't post at other forums because all I get is "great shot" and "nice going". And sometimes I disagree with comments but it's photography is a matter of taste in many ways. I was close enough that only a vertical would work, could not have fit the whole body in with a 500. However, I would be thrilled to send you a raw copy if you are willing to take that time. I suspect the darkness in the back is due to a slight vignette filter I like to use.

I echo those of you that are concerned with safety when in close proximity to brown bears and I can assure you my clients are sick of me yelling at them by the end of 4 days. On this image there were 3 of us standing in front of him in a group, and another group of 6 people to his left which is why he was looking in 2 directions. Although I've spent over 6 weeks in the field photographing bears on my own, I much prefer the group. And Human group dynamics are very important in safety. Also, if you are interested, a coastal brown bear is much differently behaviorally than an interior grizzly (although still the same species and subspecies) which is one of the reasons why you see photo tours on the coast but not in the interior, it's much safer in areas of salmon. If you are interested in reading more please visit my blog at http://www.cunninghamoutdoors.com/1/post/2012/01/why-are-we-safe-so-close-the-brown-bears-in-alaska.html and read why biologists and bear guides believe this to be so.
PS I hope posting a link on my blog does not violate any forum policies and I apologize if so.

Andrew Merwin
08-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Stan, I like this image a lot. The blood on it's snout tells a story. I also like the rim lighting around the ears. Neat image—TFS.

Steve Kaluski
08-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi Stan, I very much appreciate your reply and I think it echos what everyone here try's to convey, it's a 'community of learning/sharing' and in that way we ALL can grow, we NEVER stop learning and this Forum (BPN) has a wealth of knowledge built up by experience. Your outlook is great and very positive and a pleasure to read. The exhilaration of being close to Grizzlies is a real must for those that can, and IMHO perhaps beats some of the African sighting/encounters, but I am basis, so forgive me guys. :bg3: Shooting with a 16-35 is heart stopping, but can only be achieved with a top guide like Brad Josephs, not for the fait hearted, but as Stan knows, the memories will stay with you for LIFE!

Stan, feel free to send the RAW via Dropbox and I will gladly browse the image. I will take a look and send some thoughts back, but will look more into it when I'm back 8/31, but will only have a few days before I'm off again for some R&R this time.

Thanks again.
Steve :wave:

PS You may also like to send it to Morkel too perhaps?

Stan Cunningham
08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Brad's a friend of mine and I'm sure he's an excellent guide. In fact I interviewed and featured him in an article I did on bear viewing last year. The business in in good hands with a young man like him at the helm.
And thanks again for looking at it, if Morkel thinks he has time I'll be glad to have him look at any raw image but with his schedule and the youngster I hesitate to ask.

Steve Kaluski
08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Cool, great guy, superb guide. Would love to do another trip with him using the Kittiwake (AKA Time bandit (original)) say hi when you next see him for me.

Stan, I made the offer, therefore I will gladly make the time for you. Will have a quick punt on the MacBook pro, but would prefer 'Whopper' for speed & calibration so you may get two. Never hesitate, always ask. :w3

Steve Kaluski
08-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi Stan, this is a quick version, but please note it is on an uncalibrated monitor.

All I did was get as close to a mid grey as I could, around the nose 50.7:50.6:49.4 (IDEAL 50:50:50) and that was my starting point. You may feel being there it needs to be cooler/warmer but this was my starting point, the rest was just the exposure part, exported and a slight mid tone at 50%, sharpening might be a fraction too much, but again this can be pulled back. Compared to yours, it looks more yellow, but it is as I said, on an uncalibrated screen. Will take a better look when I'm back, but the initial part would be the same, WDYT?

Steve
PS This is FF