PDA

View Full Version : Over indulge!

Jason Stander
08-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Hi all... I trust that you are well?

This an image of a Mythicomiidae fly feeding on pollen.

I have always wanted an image of these flies close up (head detail only hence the wide aperture) feeding on pollen.This image was a challenge and a half... flat on my stomach (low angle).

These flies are extremely tiny (1.5mm or less in size)... and with the very small DOF of the MPE at a magnification of X3... with a winter chilled breeze... handheld... manual focus... this was luck.... and I am happy with it... although I would have liked a total purple bg but hey you cant have it all.

Crits and comments welcome... ENJOY:w3

Canon 60D
Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8
Canon MT-24EX Macro twinlite (diffused)

Aperture: f6.3
Shutter speed: 1/125s
Metering: Spot
Handheld

Jonathan Ashton
08-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Beautiful lighting and excellent detail in the head. On the thumbnail the variable blue/purple looks a little distracting but on the posted image I find it less so. Just a minor suggestion I would try to tone down the brightness of the pollen grains a bit. I don't know if you took more images at a smaller aperture but if you did you may find the antennae may be more in focus??

OvidiuCavasdan
08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
I like this image. I think you did a good job considering the shallow dof, hand holding, breeze, manual focus...Good sharpness on the eye and head. I like the color combination. Just wished the bg all blue without the dark area on left...but sometimes no matter how hard we try we cant have it all.

Anita Bower
08-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Congratulations on getting the photo you wanted. Amazing detail in the areas in focus. I like selective focus images. I think toning down the yellow pollen might bring out more detail. I'm glad I don't have to meet one of these in this size. :-)

Arthur Morris
08-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Hey Jason, That is one wicked eye. Agree on the all purple BKGR self critique. I think that you might try toning down the YELLOW of the flower a bit. Let me know if you need help with that and I will give it a go. Over-saturated REDs are easier to deal with.

Steve Maxson
08-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Jason. These tiny subjects are a real challenge in the field especially at higher magnifications! You have excellent detail within your DOF (very narrow at 3X) and your flash diffusion continues to be top notch - I can't tell that flash was used - which means you did it perfectly! Outstanding work!

Jason Stander
08-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Thank you all for the comments and crits!:w3