PDA

View Full Version : Standing Proud

Carl Walker
08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Canon 7D, Canon 3oo mm f2.8L IS USM + 2 X extender Mk iii
- 1/3 EV, ISO 800, 1/2500 sec, F5.6, AP

I had a few brief lessons in PP work on CS6 last Saturday and I then tried to find my way around PSE 9 trying to figure out how to attempt something reasonably acceptable to post. This is it. This image was taken late afternoon around 1700 but light still bright.

ACR work
Basic stuff, Exp - +0,15, Clarity 30, Vibrance 29, Sharpening 50, Masking 79
PSE 9
CMD + J
Used APTATS 2 - Selective noise reduction and Sharpening
used adjustment layers - levels, brightness and fiddled with all sorts of things
Finally I tried my best to prepare for web

I have no immediate alternative other than using PSE for now. I think I need to understand the step by step process better as well as the PSE workings. Trying to follow steps in CS6 and then trying to adapt in PSE is time consuming but I'll get there. I have read through a lot of the ER stuff as well as others but it is a lot to absorb.

I believe there is alot more that a pro can do to this pic.

Thanks for all your help so far

Carl Walker
08-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention I did some cloning and dodge work in the bkg too

Carl Walker
08-19-2013, 12:54 PM
I also added some canvas top and RHS as it was almost FF

John Chardine
08-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Carl- The processing looks really good here. Congratulations. I might up the sharpening level a little, particularly in the head area. What hits me hard in the image is the lack of the legs. A good rule of thumb is to include everything or go in for a tight crop- in this case of course, the head would be the target. By cutting of the legs you are giving no visual reminder of what is actually holding up the animal. We all know the legs are down there and it's best to reinforce that by showing them. Something like the attached is what I'm thinking for a crop- also added a little extra sharpening. In visualizing the cropped version, I think the image would have a lot more impact if the whole animal were showing.

Carl Walker
08-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks John for the feedback. I understand the concept of the composition and leg issue. For me this was more of an attempt at PP work to improve on that level. It was just a random choice for something that was not to difficult to work with. I seemed to have a problem with sharpening near the final step in sharpening before saving for the web. Probably need to pay more attention re this

Grady Weed
08-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Carl. Welcome to BPN. I will second John's reminders. Here, even in the ETL forum, you should post your images with all of your knowledge in the posted image. That means, you acknowledged that you knew to include the feet as well but did not. I read your response to John's helpful hints. Still...even when you were working on the PS skills, please still choose a crop that will not tend to get you more critique than you need. Here is much closer crop to remove some cloning work in the bottom right side. Yes it is a bit close, needs a bit more room for the lion to look into, but it is a different perspective a direction for the original to go too. TFS.

Carl Walker
08-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks Grady for your input. Everything mentioned has been noted and I also agree with John that the complete profile would have had more of an impact after seeing the different crops you guys did for me. Thanks again

Bill Jobes
08-20-2013, 07:59 AM
John echoed my reaction, Carl. The compositional crop in this image is perhaps the most urgent consideration.

Here is my interpretation of the photo. You'll notice I retained some image on the left side to show the power of its body; and loosened up a bit on the right side, so the lion has 'some place to go.'

I also did a slight amount of detail enhancement to bring out the features of the head and face.

Andre Pretorius
08-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi Carl

Here is my take, for what is is worth. Like this image very much, did a few adjustment layers, 2 rounds of selective sharpening.

Regards
Andre:wave:

Gabriela Plesea
08-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Hello Carl, it is great to see you posting and what a proud male lion you have got here! Love the mane and the expression on the subject's face ( I wonder what the lion was looking at? :2eyes2:). I guess it was a difficult choice- to crop or not to crop out that beautiful, lean and mean body of this powerful creature:w3. Anyway, I see a few kind BPN members have already tackled the cropping issue so I won't elaborate on it further. Steve Kaluski once gave me some very good advice, and that was "...you finish working on an image and you leave it till the next day, then you go back and reassess with fresh eyes...". I sometimes fail to do so because I am too kin, too impatient and I want to post. I guess one should have a check list of sorts, like " crop, sharpness, detail, artefacts, etc etc etc". Unfortunately I often see things that were quite obvious just moments after someone points them out to me. That is because when one works on an image one gets so used to it that he or she cannot see the faults/things to be corrected anymore. This morning when I saw the comments on an image I recently posted in Wildlife I said to myself "I must learn to be patient". Don't know if this helps, just my thoughts tonight...I think you are doing great and I look forward to many more images from you, please keep posting those wonderful sightings, I have seen some of your other shots and I think they are breathtaking:5

Have a lovely evening,

Warmest regards,

Carl Walker
08-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Great job Bill. I like it thanks. I think of all this is the crop I would go for. Appreciate your effort.

Carl Walker
08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks very much Gabriela and Andre. You guys dont know what you have got yourself into. Gabriela your'e right and the thereis wisdom in those words for all aspects of life I guess. Andre I will chat soon thanks.:wave:

Gabriela Plesea
08-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh Carl, I think we know what we got ourselves into:w3... a lifetime friendship and this passion for wildlife and photography we share:5. Not a punishment but a blessing:cheers:, see you soon, and make plans to join us at Mana Pools please!!!

Have a good evening,

Grady Weed
08-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Steve Kaluski once gave me some very good advice, and that was "...you finish working on an image and you leave it till the next day, then you go back and reassess with fresh eyes...". I sometimes fail to do so because I am too kin, too impatient and I want to post. I guess one should have a check list of sorts, like " crop, sharpness, detail, artefacts, etc etc etc". Unfortunately I often see things that were quite obvious just moments after someone points them out to me. That is because when one works on an image one gets so used to it that he or she cannot see the faults/things to be corrected anymore. That is some of the best advice you can ever get.