PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Reflections

Morkel Erasmus
08-19-2013, 11:05 AM
You ought to know where this is from, I'm not going to say it :w3.
Almost FF and very slightly cropped for position...handheld and on foot.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f8.0 | 1/1000 SS | ISO-450

Andrew Merwin
08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
An A+ image with excellent use of DoF. I like the reflection & the detail on the face & left fore leg.

Stu Bowie
08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi Mork, I havent seen many Rhino reflection images, so this works so well for me. Love the 'lazy' drinking pose, and I like the mix of blues and browns.

Stan Cunningham
08-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Agree with the above in what looks like harsh light. I found myself removing the ele dung on my shots from this mystery area but to each his own.
It may be my monitor as I'm at work but it looks like the head area may be oversharpened but you're the expert, I"m not.

Loi Nguyen
08-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Morkel, any rhino image in the wild is a cause for celebration. Nice and sharp. I wish that the rhino and the BG has more color contrast and the reflection is more sharp, but I would be very happy to get a shot like this. I know how tough it is to see one in the wild this close. Loi

Brendon Cremer
08-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Lovely image Morkel, great reflection, well exposed and good detail. I am normally not opposed to ele dung in images as they normally add to the scene, but with this image caise they look like they sitting on the rhinos back i may think of removing them also the one clump of soil closest to the reflection of the ear, getting a bit picky now but i think it will improve the overall image.

Rachel Hollander
08-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Hi Morkel - Nice to see a rhino shot and a reflection one is even better. The light does look a little harsh and if it were mine I would probably apply a luminosity mask to tone it down a little. I know your feelings on cloning so while not ideal, I understand why you left the dung in. Perhaps in the field it would have been possible to move slightly to the right to avoid the dung above the rhino?

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi Morkel, very nice image with the Rhino & reflection. The ele dung, yes, I would get the bucket and start sweeping a bit, or take out it's contrast, just to make it not pop so much. I agree with Rachel with the light.

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi Morkel, a different take from what we normally see, nice one. I agree on a little bit of 'broom' work to tidy things up would be good and add a hint more separation, but appreciate your ethics.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
08-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks a lot for your kind comments and suggestions, folks.
The light was a bit harsh but it turned out quite well IMHO. To be honest, there was so much elephant dung around EVERYWHERE that I didn't even notice it after a while when composing :e3.

Markus Jais
08-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Like this a lot. Great reflection and composition.

Markus