PDA

View Full Version : Dead Horse Point

Lyle Gruby
08-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Shot this one afternoon after leaving Arches because it didn't look like there'd be any drama. Made our way to Dead Horse as fast as we could and were rewarded with some color in the sky after a clearing storm. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3s
16-35 @ 16mm
f/16
ISO 200
Blend of 3 exposures

Lyle Gruby
08-17-2013, 05:51 PM
After seeing he image on here, I believe the blue definitely needs to be reduced in the mountains. Here's another interpretation.

dankearl
08-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Lyle, more great light and sky show.
Having been there a bunch of times, I still think the repost (while an improvement), it too blue for me.
Contrast, sharpness and comp are very nice, A bit more red and more warmth throughout would look nice for me.

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2013, 04:47 AM
I like the comp and the overall show of light.
I find your processing as gone awry here, Lyle? Did you do auto HDR blending using something like Photomatix? It looks very "psychedelic"?
The details also are very smoothed out, as if you ran noise reduction over all the details? :e3

Lyle Gruby
08-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Here's one I blended by hand. Morkel, I don't remember if I used HDR Efex Pro or Photomatix, but it was one of those 2. I did run NR on it before posting and it really killed the detail in the clouds. I had a little time this morning and blended this by hand. I forgot how quickly this can actually be done.

Morkel Erasmus
08-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Lyle your last repost looks much more "believable" while still having lots of punch and dynamics. The fall of light looks natural and the detail is very nice.
Do you agree?

Andrew McLachlan
08-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi Lyle, limited in my critique due to smartphone viewing while on the road. I really like the composition and cloud formations. You have framed this comp quite nice. On my smartphone the repost in pane #5 looks better.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Lyle Gruby
08-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Lyle your last repost looks much more "believable" while still having lots of punch and dynamics. The fall of light looks natural and the detail is very nice.
Do you agree?

yes, I definitely agree.
Thanks Andrew.

Anette Mossbacher
08-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi Lyle,

your last post looks very good. I agree with Morkel. You can add a bit more contrast to the sky/clouds.
Had it in PS. There was no sRBG profile embedded in your image.
Anyway. I had luminosity mask for a bit more punch, levels and more contrast for the clouds. WDYT?

Lyle Gruby
08-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi Lyle,

your last post looks very good. I agree with Morkel. You can add a bit more contrast to the sky/clouds.
Had it in PS. There was no sRBG profile embedded in your image.
Anyway. I had luminosity mask for a bit more punch, levels and more contrast for the clouds. WDYT?

I think it looks great. I myself added A bit more contrast after I posted and before I saved the file. Mine came out pretty much exactly like yours! Thanks for taking the time. Not sure what to say about the color profile. I thought I converted it like I always do before saving.