PDA

View Full Version : Large red slug Arion ater

Jonathan Ashton
08-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO400 1/250 sec f6.3
My wife found this slug in the garden and set it up for me on the little tripod, as it turns out I am glad she did! The specular highlights don't bother me, this is how the slug looked in that light. The background is the house wall.
All C&C welcome.

Mitch Haimov
08-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Well done, Jonathan. Cool subject, nicely sharp. BG complements subject well. I like the comp--well off-center, S-curve. Looks to be a fairly good size slug. Congrats on a cool image and on a wife who will set up a slug shot for you! I think I would have been tempted to try like this and with my pocket diffuser taming the specular highlights.

Norm Dulak
08-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi Jon.

I like the subject and the overall composition. And isn't marital cooperation wonderful?:S3:

But I find the specular highlights and the green material on the right side a little too distracting. If it were mine, I'd modify the image along the lines shown in this repost.

Norm

Jonathan Ashton
08-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks Mitch & Norm, your feedback is much appreciated.

Anita Bower
08-18-2013, 07:18 AM
You make a slug look good! Nice lines, composition, background.

Steve Maxson
08-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi Jon. This slug gave you a cool pose and your house makes the perfect background! Also good sharpness and comp. As tweaks, you might consider cloning the dried up tip of the flower in the middle of the frame and the little bit of flower peeking into the frame on the left. I like Mitch's idea about using a diffusion screen - it would make an interesting comparison. Maybe your wife could hold it for you. :S3: Overall, this is very well done!

Allen Sparks
08-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Hi Jon, I like your treatment of the image and the snail is giving you a good pose. well done. -- Allen