PDA

View Full Version : First Light Least Sandpiper.

Daniel Cadieux
08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Apart from bird photographers not too many people set their alarms EARLIER during the weekend!! I've been lovingly called "crazy" by friends and family members that just do not understand the joys of waking up with nature; the peace, solitude, colours, smells, and hopes of a new day at this golden hour:c3: This juvenile Least Sandpiper was photographed just a few minutes after the sun was rising above the horizon...at this point I was already wet and ready for the opportunity. Also at this time the light changes fast and you gotta keep an eye out on your settings!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/6.3, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, slight rotation and cropped off resulting corners - otherwise FF, darkened pupil (burn tool), lightened iris (dodge tool).

Loi Nguyen
08-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Daniel, this is a beautiful image in great light. The small puddles of water give a sense of peace and tranquility of the early morning hours at sun rise. The low angle and your techs are perfect here. Loi

Jamie Douglas
08-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Daniel this is SWEET and getting up at the crack of dawn for photography is certainly better than getting up for work. Only wish the shutter speed was a fraction higher to freeze the rear leg.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-16-2013, 03:52 AM
This is just gorgeous Dan, love the light, the angle and the detail! Great image indeed. You may be 'crazy' for them but for us you are 'God'! love your work!!!!

Girish Prahalad
08-16-2013, 05:23 AM
you have caught the perfect pose here. the light, details, colors & exp are awesome.

Markus Jais
08-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Very beautiful image. Great light and colors. Like the low angle and the head turn.

Fantastic image quality. I told a few people who always complain about the 7D and noise to visit your website!
I too shot with ISO 800 or even 1600 if I need it. Not like the 1DX but much better than many people say.

Markus

Jonathan Ashton
08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Very nice indeed Dan lovely detail in the bird and I like the soft silky water. One leg is slightly blurred, I don't think it really matters and I must say I am surprised at 1/800 sec.

Bill Dix
08-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Beautiful light, silky bg, great POV. What's not to like. I don't mind a little motion in the leg.

Frank Schauf
08-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Great picture, nice deep shooting position and great light.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Daniel,

... and that's why we wake up so early! haha. Very nicely done. Simple pose, but the light is what does it.

Miguel

MohsenVahedipour
08-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Absolutely excellent warm light & integration between BG & nice soft blue water. The IQ is excellent as always as well as shooting angle. TFS

Richard Unsworth
08-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Killer in all boxes (as bl....usual). Well done Dan

Robert Doiron
09-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Nice image, Daniel. The light and low angle are awesome! How sure are you on the ID? Why not juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper?

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Hey Robert, thanks! The combination of the colour of the legs, overall colouring of the plumage, and slightly longer bill and definitely drooping and thinner at the tip. Plus it was associating with some semipalms that made the difference at time of capture more obvious too.