PDA

View Full Version : Monument Valley Before Dawn

David Kennedy
05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Canon 5D & 70-200mm f/4L lens @ 81mm
10 vertical captures exposed 1/100 sec. @ f/8, ISO 400

I've been struggling with how best to interpret this scene. I've converted these files every which way, and finally settled on an "almost silhouette" with some detail in the small "valley" in the center with the second Mitten. I've tried it far brighter, and much darker, and this is my compromise. But I've stared at it for so long now, that I need some "fresh eyes!" As always, all comments are welcome!

Jeffrey Sipress
05-07-2008, 12:41 AM
David, I'd say that may be about all you can do, considering that there is only so much that you have to work with. Hopefully you are not feeling too disappointed about the lack of clouds or drama that morning. I'd be!

David Kennedy
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
I had clouds the next morning, but for the Totem pole (I'll be posting more once those are processed). I had a feeling this one probably wasn't going to get much farther than three-stars in my ranking system...

Roman Kurywczak
05-07-2008, 08:15 AM
You know David.............I find this one vere serene! While I will be the first to agree about clouds adding drama.........you wouldn't have that wonderful semi circular orange glow. Clouds often add tension to the scene and the mood in this is very calming. This may sound corny.........but the contrast of the blues.....dark and cold.....and then the warmth of the oranges..........just portrays the promise of a new day! I can almost hear the Beatles.........Here come's the sun........maybe I'm just in a great mood because we have a stellar day in NJ!
I like it!

David Kennedy
05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Roman. I still tend to agree with Jeffrey that it would have been better with clouds, but I think it's still salvageable. I've tweaked the colors a little (possible too much?). Let me know if you think it's an improvement.

Roman Kurywczak
05-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll stick with the original. Like the soft hues....seems appropriate!

Ed Cordes
05-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I like the original as well. The right and left silhouettes with the soft purplish hue in the center is a nice compliment to the soft colors in the sky. To me the scene is very tranquil.

Robert Amoruso
05-12-2008, 08:59 AM
David,

I would go with the first version.

One thing that bothers me about this type of image is that people feel with not clouds, it lacks drama. If this was a daytime, clear blue sky I would agree but at twilight when you get the transition of hues from yellow and golds, reds and orange, to various shades of blue - I love it - both serene and dramatic at the same time.

I think this image words very well.