PDA

View Full Version : Star of Bethlehem

Ed Vatza
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Different set-up for this one. Image made using my Canon 30D and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens with the Canon 500D close-up filter/lens.

1/400 sec at f/11; ISO 400; EC = -1/3

Mike Moats
05-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Hey Ed, I like the stlye of comp with the one in focus and soft second flower in the BG. Your getting much better on your BG's.

Ed Vatza
05-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Hey Ed, I like the stlye of comp with the one in focus and soft second flower in the BG. Your getting much better on your BG's.

Thanks Mike. I kinda like the composition as well. And goodness knows, I am working on backgrounds.So it is nice to hear that I am getting better. I am also experimenting more with my gear. I had this 500D close-up filter in my bag for a while now and never used it. So I was pleased with this first effort. And while I didn't use flash here, I am also working with flash on a flexible bracket so I can direct the light source more directly to the subject instead of shooting over its head on occasion!

Mary Stamper
05-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Are those sharpening halos that I see around the petal? Sorry, my pet peeve. Otherwise, nice job.

Ed Vatza
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Mary,

What I think you are looking at is present in the original image so its not a sharpening halo. The petals curve at the edges and I think what you are seeing is the rolled edge of the petal.

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi Ed,
No halos on my monitor.........do like the contrast between 1 sharp and 1 OOF. Well placed in the frame compositionally and I will echo Mike's comments that your BG choices are improving........but i would do a little clean up on this one to even strenghten it more.