PDA

View Full Version : Common blue damslefly

Jonathan Ashton
08-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Monopod Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 500 1/640 sec f10
This shot was taken in a local field whilst walking Barney. This is not the first time I found that "unlikely" weather yielded photographic opportunities. It was not very warm that day and there was intermittent sun, it was also a breezy every now and then but a little patience paid off.
All C&c welcome.

Nigel Kibble
08-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Love the shot pin sharp when its slightly cooler they become dozy making it easier to capture

Mitch Haimov
08-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Beautifully composed with the subject forming its own leading line. Plenty of fine detail on the damsel. Could wish that OOF seed head did not cross in front of the otherwise sharp and interesting perch, but nature is not neat and orderly; I'm glad a leg is not obscured. VWD.

Nancy Bell
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Lovely composition with the graceful seed head continuing the strong diagonal line of the damselfly. I like that a pale stem on the right echoes the diagonal line. What do you think of cropping just below that extra bit of seed head in the extreme upper left? I think the comp is stronger without it. I don't mind the oof stem in the foreground as it does not interfere with anything. Just love the brilliant blue color of these damselflies, and all the detail you captured.

Jonathan Ashton
08-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Lovely composition with the graceful seed head continuing the strong diagonal line of the damselfly. I like that a pale stem on the right echoes the diagonal line. What do you think of cropping just below that extra bit of seed head in the extreme upper left? I think the comp is stronger without it. I don't mind the oof stem in the foreground as it does not interfere with anything. Just love the brilliant blue color of these damselflies, and all the detail you captured.

I think you are right Nancy, I don't really understand why I left the top seed head in, I was probably in one of my "leave it alone" moods!

Steve Maxson
08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi Jon. Very nice comp, light, and sharpness! At first I didn't care for the OOF seed head in the foreground - but now it's not bothering me. I agree about the clipped section of seed head in the ULC - I would suggest cloning it rather than cropping more from the top - an easy fix to a very strong image!.