View Full Version : Baltimore Checkerspot Chrysalis

Norm Dulak
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Chrysalis: Canon PowerShot S90, hand held
ISO 500; f/8.0, 1/250 sec.

Hydrangea: Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 vr micro lens, hand held
ISO 400; f/3.5, 1/2500 sec; MM -0.67

Standard adjustments in PS CS6.

Yesterday, while cooling off in our swimming pool, I noticed a small but very colorful object attached to the underside of the "bricks" surrounding the pool, just a few inches above the water level. I rushed to the house, retrieved my S90, and photographed the object from the pool.

A little subsequent web research revealed that the colorful object I photographed was in fact a Baltimore Checkerspot chrysalis. I also learned that the butterfly that will emerge from the chrysalis has become very rare in Maryland in recent years, and is considered imperiled. So I wanted to do something appropriate for this very special visitor.

Because the pool tile and bricks surrounding the chrysalis were not sufficiently attractive to set off such a beautiful subject, I photographed some hydrangea leaves today using my D300, extracted my chrysalis onto a transparent layer using Refine Edge, and "attached" it to a leaf using Photoshop CS6.

The final result is attached.

By the way, I have now tethered a floating sheet of foam material beneath the chrysalis, in the hope that it will protect the emerging butterfly from the pool water.

Your comments and suggestions are as always most welcome.

Norm

stuart wanuck
08-13-2013, 06:12 PM
sharp

Mitch Haimov
08-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Nicely done, Norm. I like the composition and the square crop works well. My only suggestion is to run some NR on the BG. Good idea with the foam; I hope your visitor emerges successfully. Even better if you are lucky enough to witness it.

Nancy Bell
08-13-2013, 10:33 PM
As I mentioned in the OOTB forum, where you also posted this image, I would consider cropping down to a bit above the main leaf holding the chrysalis. This keeps your eye on the main event. To me all the blurred bkgd above the stem does not add to the impact of the image. Love the tiny yellow dots of "feet" and the abstract design on the side against the pure white. What a beautiful creation of nature!

Jonathan Ashton
08-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Lovely shot, exposure and colours look good. Focus is excellent.
I would suggest cropping the top part of the image above the leaf, it does not add anything, I would crop to say 2 cm above the leaf and also crop about 1cm from the base.

Norm Dulak
08-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. The crop suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Today, I noticed that the chrysalis had noticeably darkened, indicating that a butterfly would soon emerge. I photographed the maturing chrysalis, and the butterfly that later emerged from it. Happily, I walked the butterfly onto my finger, and transferred it to a flower, safely away from the pool. Soon the butterfly departed to explore its new environment.

Panels showing photos of the mature chrysalis and the emergent butterfly over the chrysalis case are attached.

Norm

Mitch Haimov
08-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Great story, Norm. Glad it was a success!

Nancy Bell
08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much for the update...success!

Steve Maxson
08-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Norm. Great find and an interesting way of placing it in a more attractive setting. Excellent exposure and detail on the chrysalis. I would agree with the cropping suggestion and running some selective NR on the background. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Norm Dulak
08-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Norm. Great find and an interesting way of placing it in a more attractive setting. Excellent exposure and detail on the chrysalis. I would agree with the cropping suggestion and running some selective NR on the background. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Hi Steve.

Good to hear from you on this. Here's a repost that I hope everyone will think has a better crop.

Norm

Anita Bower
08-18-2013, 07:36 AM
This is a beautiful, delicate chrysalis! Thank you for sharing it. I like the repost. Excellent work in combining the two photos--creative and imaginative work. Thanks also for sharing the development of the chrysalis and the butterfly. I'm delighted with the care you took with it and how you made sure it survived.