PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Bellied Flycatcher.

Shawn Zierman
08-13-2013, 09:22 AM
This yellow bellied flycatcher was photographed during this past spring migration on a foggy cold day in Duluth, Minnesota. I observed the bird forage and exist on a small section of Lake Superior beach for a couple of hours. It was reasonably tolerant of close approach. The bird was active and nabbed several insects off of driftwood and rocks on the shoreline. The background is Lake Superior, but the light was rather dull, so I exposed for a high key effect and attempted to build in tones and contrast in post processing. Canon7d, Sigma50/500os, iso800, f9, 1/250, crop, USM. Comments and critiques welcome.
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.

Loi Nguyen
08-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Well exposed, sharp. I see why you go for the horizontal format here because the bird is looking towards the right, but it leaves quite a bit of white space. Loi

Karl Egressy
08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Excellent sharpness and details, Shawn. The pose is one of the best possible showing off the wings and back and just having the right amount of head turn.

Randy Stout
08-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Shawn:

Excellent dorsal display as mentioned by Karl. Excellent head angle for a look back pose.

Like the little details in the perch with the spider web, drops and lichen.

Cheers

Randy

David Salem
08-14-2013, 12:18 AM
This is much better than the thumbnail looks. Great looking high key image. I like the pose with the flared wings and the very nice feather detail. The little bit of lichen on the perch looks cool and adds interest. Very well done Shawn.

Girish Prahalad
08-14-2013, 05:15 AM
great work with the exp. like the comp, details & colors.