PDA

View Full Version : Hyatt Lane, Cades Cove

Cheryl Slechta
08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I believe this is Hyatt Lane in Cades Cover, one of the two roads that bisect the Loop Road. I had converted this to B&W using Nik Silver Efex with a High Structure and toning and Agfa APX 400 film filter and posted in Landscape Forum (I feel like a duck out of water over there). I really didn't like the grittiness and so I took it back into LR and added one of the OnOne Glow presets to smooth it out and it gave it a lot contrast. I like the preset because it adds a subtle Simplify effect also.

Judy Howle
08-12-2013, 10:13 PM
WOW! That is beautiful, I love it! Black and white really works well.

Kerry Perkins
08-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Excellent use of the filters to get that really deep B&W look. Super composition with the leading lines and strong elements like the tree and hills. Great image all around!

Cheryl Slechta
08-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks, Judy and Kerry. I posted a totally different version in Landscape.:S3:

Mitch Carucci
08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Classic B&W. Works very well for me. Just enough detail in sky. I looked at your post in Landscape. This version is much improved IMHO.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Cheryl,

Greetings. It's interesting to look at the two versions side by side. I find myself drawn a bit more to the Landscape version for the color palette and the relaxing feel, where the OOTB version has a bit more foreboding look with the dominant clouds in the urc. While I like some of the additional contrast in the sky, the smoothing of the clouds doesn't work for me.

I like the composition. Thanks for posting both versions... how very different they are.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Hi, Michael, it's interesting how different they look and I agree completely on your assessment. I like the calm feel to the Landscape post as opposed to the more ominous OOTB. The perfect compromise (in my mind) would be to add a little bit of Simplify to the Landscape image because I like the toning and feel better but I didn't think I could do that in Landscape. Maybe I'll do that as a repost here:S3:

dankearl
08-13-2013, 12:13 PM
I much prefer this to the one in Landscape, in fact I think this is not that OOTB and I would use some of this processing for the landscape image
minus a bit of the blur effect.

Nancy Bell
08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Great combination of filters. It's great that even the clouds direct your eye down the road! I like the high contrast look.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Just great Cheryl. Print!

Anita Bower
08-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Really gorgeous image. Crisp. I especially love that tree. Excellent.

Anita Bower
08-18-2013, 05:50 PM
I just looked at the version you posted in Landscape. I like this one much better. Crisper and cleaner look.