PDA

View Full Version : Hyatt Lane, Cades Cove

Cheryl Slechta
08-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Hi, guys and gals. I always feel so out of my element here so please bear with me. I believe this is Hyatt Lane, one of the two intersecting lanes to the Loop Road in Cades Cove. I used Nik Color Efex, Tonal Contrast, then Silver Efex High Structure Harsh with a toning filter and Agfa APX 400 film filter. Then I added some selective dodging and burning.
Canon 5D Mark III, 17-40 @ 17mm, f/11, 1/800, ISO 400. I have another version with a softer focus that I'll post in OOTB.
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated:S3:

dankearl
08-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I like the lines, the tree and the country road.
To me, it needs some oomph!
I worked on it a bit, darkened it in places and added some contrast, but the compressed file got noisy.
The RAW should work if you are so inclined.

John Ippolito
08-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Hello Cheryl,

I've looked at this quite a few times, and there is a lot to like about this image. The composition is a real classic with the road just off center leading me to the distant mountains past the great anchor of a tree.

On the surface the image looks a bit thin, and there is a lot of character to the sky that could be brought out more with the clouds that seem to converge on the geographical center of the frame, but.... I can see that almost subliminal geometry in the hi-key sky already. Maybe it doesn't need to be stated more emphatically.

I like the fact that you "crowded" the tree at the top of the frame. Something photographers seem to be uncomfortable with.

I'll be very interested in other's opinions.

I like it as presented. Very nicely done !!

Cheryl Slechta
08-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks Dan and John for your thoughtful critiques. I did try adding more contrast and darkening in different areas but I always deleted the layers and went back to this. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I posted a different version in black and white in OOTB which has more contrast and I think it has a totally different feel to it.:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi Cheryl, I really like this image as presented. It has an almost high-key / infrared look to it for me. At first I thought that's too bright but when sit back and take it all in the subtle details in the bright sky seem just right. And the road and tree are placed perfectly within the composition. No need to feel out of your element here...please keep 'em coming :S3:

Mark Dumbleton
08-14-2013, 04:30 AM
Lovely conversion, and lead in lines here! Great composition.