PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon Evening 2

Lyle Gruby
08-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Shot this the same evening as the pano I posted earlier. Slightly different composition. This was before the light show really got going. All C&C appreciated.

Techs:
D3S
16-35 @ 22mm
f/16
ISO 200
3 blended exposures

Cheryl Slechta
08-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Lyle, this is a very pleasing image to me. It gives me a feeling of an impending weather event. I wish there were just a little more room in the foreground for the tree root.

Morkel Erasmus
08-12-2013, 04:33 PM
I love the dramatic light/colours and the grand sense of scale you captured here Lyle. :5
I felt this needed a bit more "balance" in terms of tonality and overall exposure, so I tried my hand at a quick RP (obviously best to work from high res file as the jpg here already suffers from compression).
Tell me what you think, before I tell you what I did :e3:w3...

dankearl
08-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Man, you had some nice light.
Overall all, excellent, I would back off the blue a tad for me and you have a bunch of dust spots to clean up.

Lyle Gruby
08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes, morkel you improved the image. The FG is definitely more impactful now. Ill take any post-processing tips I can get.

Busted on the dust spots. :tinysmile_shy_t: Yes, Dan we had spectacular light this night. It was by far the most dramatic light of the trip. I've got lots more to post but I started with a couple of my favorites. I'm also still sort of digging through everything.

Don Nelson
08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Lyle
The previous Pano is my favorite
That being said, I think you need to reduce the blue in the canyon -- in this case you have enough color to get rid of the blue cast. Remember that the blue actually does occur, but the human brain just removes it. When you were at the canyon, you didn't say -- wow that canyon is blue, did you?
Here's my RP: (and I would take it a step further in slightly reducing the magenta in the red rocks in the mid-distance...but cannot repost an update for some reason)

Lyle Gruby
08-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Always appreciate the feedback. We definitely saw the blue during these 2 shots. My wife and I actually talked about how blue both the sky and the canyons were. The blue however, was much more pronounced as the sun went down-- as in the pano. I do like this shot more with the magenta more pronounced.

QUOTE=Don Nelson;928715]131399
Lyle
The previous Pano is my favorite
That being said, I think you need to reduce the blue in the canyon -- in this case you have enough color to get rid of the blue cast. Remember that the blue actually does occur, but the human brain just removes it. When you were at the canyon, you didn't say -- wow that canyon is blue, did you?
Here's my RP: (and I would take it a step further in slightly reducing the magenta in the red rocks in the mid-distance...but cannot repost an update for some reason)[/QUOTE]

Andrew McLachlan
08-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi Lyle, another beautiful scene...I like Morkel's repost best and Cheryl's suggestion for a smidgen more foreground. From where you captured this scene could you have taken a couple of steps to the right to eliminate the two trees from merging with each other?

Lyle Gruby
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the feed back Andrew. Those were my first 2 thoughts upon seeing the shot on my laptop. They weren't deal breakers for me, but I've got a long way to go in the landscape world.

Andrew McLachlan
08-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi Lyle, by no means are they deal breakers..it is a lovely image...just something to consider when in the field

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2013, 05:16 PM
One of my main focus points in my repost was lightening the stump of the FG tree somewhat to make it stand out more. Your RP has addressed that.
I still don't like the canyons "bland" like they are now...there should be some colour, even if it's blue, just IMHO (for mood and feel).

Lyle Gruby
08-15-2013, 11:00 PM
One of my main focus points in my repost was lightening the stump of the FG tree somewhat to make it stand out more. Your RP has addressed that.
I still don't like the canyons "bland" like they are now...there should be some colour, even if it's blue, just IMHO (for mood and feel).

Agreed. I didn't mean to repost the same picture Don posted. I replied from my iPhone while at work and somehow pasted the same picture again. I am personally fine with them being blue. Love the tree lightened up. I lightened it up in my personal files also.

Anette Mossbacher
08-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Hi Lyle, again a great image of this big canyon :bg3:
Issues have been addressed already by the others. So not much to say for me.

Have a great weekend

Ciao
Anette