PDA

View Full Version : Upper Butte Creek Falls

dankearl
08-11-2013, 05:07 PM
An obscure water fall in the Oregon Cascade foothills.
Taken this morning at the lowest water flow of the year and the best time of year to photograph the falls for me.

1/2 sec., f22, iso100, 24mm (nikkor 10-24mm), CP, D7000, Tripod.

DSC_2818bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131347&stc=1&d=1376258804)

John Ippolito
08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Dan,

I really like the luminance of the forest above the falls. Everything just looks so inviting. The water is perfectly silky with enough detail to avoid the cotton look.

If anything, I would tone down the leaves in the lower right corner. They are a great anchor to the frame, but as bright as they are, they pull the eye to the edge.

Very nice processing and smooth tonal values in an elegant composition. Very, very nice work.

Lyle Gruby
08-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Beautiful scene. Great creative idea to use the leaves as your foreground. I could see a version a little tighter all the way around, but I'm having trouble coming up with a crop I like. Maybe one like this?

Morkel Erasmus
08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
I really like this for all the reasons John mentioned. Quite luminous (my first thought, without reading John's comment). Good tonal depth and exposure range. Solid composition.
I do agree that toning down the leaves bottom RHC would strengthen the image! I like the nice deep green in the water too.
For me, your best landscape posted here, Dan! :5

Lyle Gruby
08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
That definitely feels tight on the top. Still isn't feeling right to me. I like your original better.

Cheryl Slechta
08-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I really like the misty look which I'm sure you would get in Oregon. I like John's suggestion about toning down the leaves in the LRC just a tad.

Andrew McLachlan
08-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi Dan, a perfect shutter speed for the cascading water and the surrounding forest is very lush. Toning down the leaves in the lower right will help strengthen the image and if it were mine I would clone out the last few leaves that seem to poke up from the bottom edge and do not appear to be connected to the shrubbery. I agree with Morkel on this being your best post here so far...very well seen and captured!