PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe at Water Hole, Tarangire

Loi Nguyen
08-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Tried my hands on something different than my normal shots with a super tele :)

5D3
70-300L, f4.0-5.6
1/320
f11
ISO-400
Handheld

Mid day sun, light was not ideal, but it was partially cloudy

Pano shot to get rid of the yellow grass upclose.

Appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Loi

Stan Cunningham
08-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Interesting shot, too bad the waterbuck was not facing us. I think you need some clockwise rotation from looking at the water level. Like the composition.

Daniel Cadieux
08-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I really like the habitat you got here, it would look good by itself...the animals are bonus:S3: Some CW rotation is indeed needed as the image is tilted down right to left. I think you can add some drama to what appears to be a nicely clouded sky (see if you can darken some of those clouds). As for the animals, yes, I do wish the one in the water was facing us, and ideally (for me anyhow) the giraffe's head would be up above the vegetation. I still like the image, a very African feel to it, and a great representation of what one can find there...

Loi Nguyen
08-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you everyone. as I was rotating the image, I noticed for the first time that there were some bright haze spots above the giraffe and the vegetation on the right hand side. I went back to the RAW file and they were there too. So, it is really too bad and I can't "fix" them. Will look for other images in the sequence. Loi

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Hi Loi, great crit from Dan, it's easy to get a bit more drama out of the sky, this is deliberately push a tad too much, but you can see the direction. Having the Giraffe as the main subject does add a nice tranquility to the feel of the image. The cloud is great, helps reduce some of those highlights we often have to contend with. The only thing to remember is by rotating the image you will loose more of the nice RH bush.

Bring it with you and I will show you what I did, hope this helps. Great to see you break away from the 500. :w3

TFS
Steve

edwardselfe
08-12-2013, 09:29 AM
It's always nice to have more than one species in an image, but I'm not sure this one works as the giraffe is a bit awkward looking. The light is nice though and I think it was a good plan to try something like this, but as often happens, the animals don't behave as you need them to!
Ed

Jamie Douglas
08-12-2013, 10:42 PM
CW rotation was the first thing I thought of critique wise and to add depth to the clouds as Steve has done in the repost. This is a really beautiful and tranquil animal scape Loi.