PDA

View Full Version : Another birdwatcher

Ian Cassell
08-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I went out to the Gilbert Riparian Preserve to get some bird images this morning and this coyote was out watching the birds too. He seems to have forgotten his camera.

Canon 7D
Canon 500/4 + 1.4x
1/320 sec f/5.6 ISO 400

Color Efex Pro
CS6 - crop for composition and sharpening

Loi Nguyen
08-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Ian, nice and sharp image of the coyote. It feels a bit too cool for me, and I would try to warm it up a little. Also, if it were mine, I'd crop a little on the left side to minimize the OOF leaves. Loi

Ian Cassell
08-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks for commenting, Loi. I've added a bit of warmth and cropped a little. What do you think?

Stan Cunningham
08-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I like the crop Ian, but I think you lost the color of the coyote. You took the pic and saw the animal but I've not seen many summer desert coyotes with that much red.

Ian Cassell
08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Stan. Thanks for the look. Actually you're right and I do think I overdid it. Loi was right about it being too cool, though. Somewhere in between, I think ...

Stan Cunningham
08-11-2013, 07:22 PM
It's a nice shot Ian, I wish I had taken it. I'd take the time to find the right color. I don't see many summer coat coyote images so good capture.

Daniel Cadieux
08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Wow, that is a skinny dude! I'm used to seeing them much thicker than that...I suppose that is what a summer coat looks like. I agree somewhere between the two would be best colour-wise. I like the comp as it adds some tension to what looks to be a precarious situation, but I do feel the IQ has that large crop look to it? Anyhow, glad to see birds have all sorts of fans out there:bg3:

Hilary Hann
08-12-2013, 02:38 AM
I would say that his thin condition has a lot to do with the nasty looking injury to his hind leg, probably finds it hard to hunt. Some very strange artefacts in the background but he has a soulful look in his eyes and it must have been a nice find.

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2013, 02:54 AM
Hi Folks, I'm struggling on this one.

Based on the OP and sampling a mid grey point 50.4/50.2/49.6 from the BKG and not changing anything else, the image looks as close to the OP. So providing Ian you have not changed the WB hugely, or given an 'effect' from EXFex Col, then I think it is reflect full of the time of day? Might be worth posting the RAW prior to any processing if you have changed the WB? I agree with Dan, the IQ is quite there, if you can, always nice to mention if it's almost FF or a large crop, it does help. :w3

TFS and would welcome your thoughts on other threads too here. :S3:

Steve

edwardselfe
08-12-2013, 09:28 AM
There's an interesting look on this coyote's face and I quite like it. I think that you have removed some items from the background (which is fine to me if that's what you want to do) but in that case, I might try to blend that harsh line which runs across the image in line with his face. The wound and swelling on the rear leg looks pretty bad and I wonder if it might be suffering. Certainly doesn't look healthy and the coat is quite flat, not lustrous as you might expect.
Ed

Morkel Erasmus
08-12-2013, 02:50 PM
I like the pose/look here Ian. Again, I feel it's very scrunchy even for a 7D shot at ISO-400. :e3
I think you need to chat to Rachel as she has a distinct workflow I transferred to her for working with 7D raw files...I don't have it typed out personally at the moment. I think working from that will give you a good base to build your own workflow from. I could safely use the camera up to ISO-1600 in half-decent light.

Ian Cassell
08-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Good eyes, folks. It wasn't until I looked at some of my profile images of this guy that I saw the big wound on the leg. It looks like he may have been caught in a trap.

In any event , to address some questions: this was not a large crop. I only used Color Efex for a bit of contrast enhancement. No items removed from BG. Morkel, I'll drop Rachel a note.

Thanks all.