View Full Version : Milky Way, Shell Mound

Maureen Allen
08-11-2013, 02:05 PM
View of the Milky Way from Shell Mound, Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge

Nikon d3s, 14-24 f/2.8 @ 17mm, ISO 3200, f/2.8, 30 sec

John Ippolito
08-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi Maureen,
Nice job on the night sky with foreground silhouettes that work very well in the comp. I think the Milky Way is positioned perfectly in the frame. Lovely, lovely image.

Cheryl Slechta
08-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Maureen, very impressive image. I love the silhouettes also:S3:

dankearl
08-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Very cool star photo!
I know nothing about night photography, shooting wide open at iso3200, it must have been very dark?
The noise in not apparent at all with all the stars and the dark trees look nice also.
Nice work, if you can elaborate on the settings and why, I would appreciate it.

Maureen Allen
08-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Very cool star photo!
I know nothing about night photography, shooting wide open at iso3200, it must have been very dark?
The noise in not apparent at all with all the stars and the dark trees look nice also.
Nice work, if you can elaborate on the settings and why, I would appreciate it.

Hi Dan -

The area I was working in is very dark. To find areas like this, I use a light pollution map (you can find one online using a google search.) The settings are based on the need to let enough light in to capture the stars nicely and a short enough exposure time to prevent the stars from trailing. With this lens at 17mm, the maximum is about 30 seconds.

Roman Kurywczak has a wonderful ebook to get you started in night photography, if it is of interest to you. A Digital Guide to Photographing the Night Sky (http://roaminwithroman.com/e-books/)

Andrew McLachlan
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi Maureen, lovely work...the stars and the milky way look perfect. Look forward to more of your night-scapes :S3:

Nigel Kibble
08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Love the shot position of milky way is just right , I would love to do this kind of shot but in the UK cloud is a problem for me.

Morkel Erasmus
08-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Nicely done Maureen. The silhouettes work well because they are "discernable" and anchor the image nicely.
I think you ran a bit too much noise reduction on the sky? It just looks a tad too smooth, if I make sense...

Maureen Allen
08-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Nicely done Maureen. The silhouettes work well because they are "discernable" and anchor the image nicely.
I think you ran a bit too much noise reduction on the sky? It just looks a tad too smooth, if I make sense...

Thanks, Morkel. It's interesting that you bring this up because I have struggled with how much noise reduction to use in these images. I very much appreciate your input.