PDA

View Full Version : African Tree Squirrel - Kruger National Park

Carl Walker
08-11-2013, 10:04 AM
This squirrel appeared on a log in front of my vehicle about 5 meters away as I was gazing over a dry riverbed. It was shot using a beanbag as support. It was around midday but felt at the time that the light filtering through the trees above it might be ok at the time. I chose this image as it was it was about movement and I know that it is not sharp enough but liked the posture. I decided to do something of a pano shot duet to the tail position at the time.

I did PP work in LR
5Exposure = + 0,15
Shadows = + 67
Clarity = + 6
Sharpened = 55
NR = 54

In PSE 9, I worked in the BG trying to get rid of a dark piece of a log where it was interfering with my potential crop. Still not ofey with LR so my techniques need improving.I left a piece of something that came off beneath his tail to portray some form of movement. I then resharpened and sized image for posting.

This excercise proved frustrating so any help here would be appreciated.

Canon ! D MK IV
Canon 300mm f2,8L IS USM Mk II + 2 X Extender Mk III
ISO 400
f8, 1/1600 sec, AP, -1EV

Appreciate all C & C.

Looking forward to your input and what you might have done. Thanks

Steve Kaluski
08-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Carl, I think you can do some trading with Andre & Gabriela, some LR instruction from them and some game viewing with, you as it would be great to see their knowledge cascading down. :w3

Firstly, you need to ensure your images are fit for web, they need to be sRGB so they are presented at their best/full potential. It's easy to do and I can send you a link in the steps you need to take to ensure the file you create is correct if you need it, leaving your Master file in it's original RGB format. I

If the subject was happy to stay there and if possible, moving the vehicle slightly more to the left perhaps would have helped avoid the branch on the LHS, giving you a killer BKG and something that helps to separate your subject too. Overall the image looks dark, not ideal, but going into Levels and moving the RH slider to around 220 certainly bring the image more to life. Try to expose to the right more, but without blowing any highlights, so always check your histogram. I like the soft dapple light, which in turn has also kept any harsh highlights coming through in the coat. Just adding a bit more sharpening too helps both the subject and shows you that what you captured is sharp. Nice techs, but with that kit you will do well.

If you can, I would suggest you get PS CS6, it dovetails nicely with LR and will open up a lot more possibilities for you in terms of processing your images. At this stage I think you will be better off keeping your files to RGB, using what you have will only increase the file size & storage and you are not gaining a huge amount, but your call. :S3:

Hope this helps and nice opening post Carl.

TFS
Steve

Carl Walker
08-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your input Steve. Can see a big improvement in your example. I tend to do this with many of my images as it looks close to what I experienced at the time of capture.

Have already made plans to meet up with them later this week. Fire season is here so difficult to make definite plans. Would appreciate the link, thanks Steve.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Carl,

Steve did an excellent job covering the high points especially the post processing of the image...bottom line the image was a bit underexposed. This happens more often than not when shooting AP in filtered light. I love to meter these scenes and switch to manual if possible...or have seen folks use a light meter but lets not open that can of worms.

On balance..this is well done. You controlled the background well which is weakest part of most images I see and the exposure techs are solid. Just miss-judged the light a bit with the EV setting...remember we shot the light not the subject. Just curious do you carry a flash...this could also assist with the image sharpness and a bit of flash would would help bring out the detail of this beautiful creature. Nice field technique using a bean bag and cropping to balance the fame...like it. Please keep em coming.

Carl Walker
08-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Hi Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I do carry flash gear with me and although I did think about it our subjects don't always hang around for us, as you know.

Believe it or not this was the first trip ever that I have had to photograph from a limited vehicle window area. All my photography is normally done in an open landrover with unrestricted 360 degree views. Been spoilt I know but I did plan for the inevitable.