PDA

View Full Version : Bosque del Apache Update

Doug Brown
08-11-2013, 08:39 AM
A recent meeting between the refuge management Kevin Cobble, Refuge Manager, and Aaron Mize, Refuge Associate Manager, and four photographers from the Albuquerque area revealed that numerous changes are underway at the refuge. The four of us, who represent a long history of photographing at BDA, were extremely pleased and impressed with the new attitude of cooperation and desire to communicate with photographers. The group of four include Doug Brown, Keith Bauer, David Powell and Sandy Corless.

At the meeting we were told that management anticipates having corn on the refuge this year. So far the only problems with the corn corps have been the elk that have destroyed one field. Efforts are being made to protect the other fields. In the field that the corn was destroyed they anticipate that the farmers will be able to replace the crop with another that should be suitable food for the cranes. The corn will be in fields along the Farm tour loop and should be accessible for viewing. Other viewing improvements have been made to allow for more viewing from along the road leading to the farm fields. The 2 ponds on Highway One will be filled as in the past. Management is currently looking for alternatives to the railroad pond to provide viewing from the west. When we meet with management again later this month at the refuge the group of photographers will be touring the refuge and looking at possible new locations to replace the railroad pond. During that tour we will also be suggesting locations for snags so that they will be placed in locations appropriate for photographer.

Management shared with use some future plans of expanding the number of viewing areas in other locations at the refuge. Of course this will all be dependent upon budget restraints which right now and for the immediate future are extreme.

We need to all remember that all of our wildlife areas that are supported by tax dollars are struggling financially due to serious budget cut backs. Many of us enter these locations using a pass that we have purchased for very little. We all need to remember to open our wallets and help out as we can. The only way we will continue to see these refuges exist is by strong public private partnerships. Let’s all remember to give when we can.

Time to make travel plans to visit BDA this year. It is coming back!

David Stephens
08-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Doug, thanks for this work on our behalf.

I recently decided to get more active on a local level and I've already been invited to apply for a state water quality authority seat and I'll be meeting with Colorado State Park staff next week to discuss photography related issues. This developed over three or four years, talking to the rangers and resource managers when I saw them in the park and always giving a wave. I even handed out calendars featuring park wildlife the last two-years. Anyway, photographers are significant and noticed facility users (we're there in the snow storms and other times when no one else is there but the park staff) so it's natural that we have a voice when issues are being considered.

If you have time and inclination, try to get involved with your favorite shooting haunts.

Grady Weed
08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Doug, thanks for this work on our behalf.

I recently decided to get more active on a local level and I've already been invited to apply for a state water quality authority seat and I'll be meeting with Colorado State Park staff next week to discuss photography related issues. This developed over three or four years, talking to the rangers and resource managers when I saw them in the park and always giving a wave. I even handed out calendars featuring park wildlife the last two-years. Anyway, photographers are significant and noticed facility users (we're there in the snow storms and other times when no one else is there but the park staff) so it's natural that we have a voice when issues are being considered.

If you have time and inclination, try to get involved with your favorite shooting haunts. I think that is something we all should do , time permitting.

Ian Cassell
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Your efforts are much appreciated, Doug! This will only be my 3rd year going to BDA (2nd week in Dec. this year, I think) and I have developed a real love for the place - not just as a photographer, but also as someone who just appreciates this wonderful oasis.

Grady Weed
08-14-2013, 03:48 PM
We need to all remember that all of our wildlife areas that are supported by tax dollars are struggling financially due to serious budget cut backs. Many of us enter these locations using a pass that we have purchased for very little. We all need to remember to open our wallets and help out as we can. The only way we will continue to see these refuges exist is by strong public private partnerships. Let’s all remember to give when we can. Thanks for the encouraging reminder.

Cheryl Slechta
08-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks, Doug (and David) for all your work. I think remembering to open our wallets is a great reminder since it is very important to the success of a lot of these amazing parks who operate in spite of severe budget cuts. I was amazed at the work that is done at BDA to maximize the views that visitors can access. I have found this not to be the case at my local State Park that has wintering Sandhill cranes and I always use BDA as an example when talking to the rangers who are resistant to change. I'm looking forward to being there this year:S3:

Arthur Morris
08-21-2013, 08:30 PM
It sounds as if they are giving up totally on the North Railroad Pond; is that correct? I made suggestions to previous managers and resurrecting this great location. They were all ignored. Folks may not realize that for several years I organized (and participated for two years in) a Bosque Volunteer group that did some remarkable work. After several years they gave up the ghost due to non-responsiveness of the refuge management team. The team leader was BPN member (I think) Gary "The Animal" Rouleau."

It is a shame to mention that he was not included in the group as he lives nearby, visits the refuge often, and put in many dozens of hours of back-breaking work as a Bosque "Open Windows" volunteer over at least three seasons. In the same vein, others may not be aware that this year will be my 18th consecutive year at Bosque during the Thanksgiving season or that I have been working (or have attempted to work with) the various refuge management groups for more than a decade. Since the departure of former refuge manager Phil Norton the refuge has pretty much been in a consistent downhill spiral, that despite more than a few successes over the years with different managers. It is good to see that the new manager is open to helping Bosque return to its previous position as a crown jewel of the NWR system.

David Stephens
08-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Art's post shows the value of tenacity and persistence. Art might have felt like he wasn't moving the ball, or even losing ground, but you never know where a change in heart might occur. There could have been a sympathetic ear in the room all along, but powerless at the time and now empowered. You never know the connections that may lead to progress. We all can contribute, but we may never know what caused something good to happen.

Arthur Morris
08-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks David. The stumbling blocks were a long line of refuge managers often described as uninspired and incompetent. Cheers to Kevin for his refreshing attitude. I plan on giving him a buzz tomorrow. He is a long time friend of Phil Norton.

I should have mentioned above that one of the main problems over the years was the loss of the top farmers who worked the refuge due to loss of trust with refuge management over broken promises.

Doug Brown
08-22-2013, 08:34 PM
It sounds as if they are giving up totally on the North Railroad Pond; is that correct?

That's correct Artie. But the refuge is definitely taking steps in the right direction with regard to photographers. Gary is a good friend of mine, and I value his opinions pertaining to the Bosque. We deliberately kept the group small because ideas get diluted out if too many of them are floated at a meeting. I was a volunteer at the first Bosque cleanup, and I know how much work it was! Here's a photo of Artie lugging branches up from a ditch; we were allowed to use hand tools only for the cleanup. The refuge didn't trust us with power tools.

Kerry Perkins
08-22-2013, 11:08 PM
NEVER give photographers power tools! :bg3: How cool to see some results after all the time and effort, and even more cool to see photography becoming respected for the value that it brings to the area. Huge thanks to you guys all. I will be there the week before Thanksgiving.

Arthur Morris
08-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Thanks Doug. I should have been more clear when I asked about the N RR Pond: are they keeping it dry this year or filling it and totally closing the area?

Nota bene: Doug joined what I think was the original Open Windows volunteer group for a single day. The rest of us were there for 6 or 7 days as I recall :). Doug, please correct me if I was wrong.

Arthur Morris
08-23-2013, 03:31 AM
ps: Scroll down here (http://www.birdsasart.com/2009/10/19/birds-as-art-bulletin-302/) and especially click here (http://www.birdsasart.com/bn272.htm) to see the huge amount of work that the 2008 Open Windows group did. I guarantee that you will be astounded. (And oh my, how ugly those old Bulletins were. God bless Peter Kes!)

Arthur Morris
08-30-2013, 12:52 PM
To answer the question that I asked in Pane 12: the North Railroad Pond will not be filled this year. As there is no access there that is actually a good thing for several reasons: it drives geese to both crane pools most days and it eliminated the temptation to photography the pond from the road.

Michael Lloyd
10-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I am going to be meandering around NM, AZ, UT, and CO for a couple of weeks and since I couldn't get a room in Albuquerque (picking a friend up at the airport in the morning) due to the balloon festival, I decided to stay in Socorro and check on the Bosque. I don't know why, since I've seen a few closures already, but this caught be by surprise. This isn't a political statement... and most of the Bosque regulars probably already new it but I sure didn't. I should have, the N in NWR doesn't stand for nothing. Onward thru the fog...

http://wildlightimagingstudio.com/img/s5/v124/p2048742977-4.jpg

LinzRiverBalmer
10-05-2013, 09:31 PM
sad but true, they shut down their FB page too. hopefully will get back up and running before the festival in November. plus there was some flood damage not more than a month ago, so not sure it had already been fixed, one of the dirt levees gave out.

don't know where you are planning to be but the Melrose Trap has had some nice sighting reports the last few days and weeks, including some rare owls. Its about hallway between Ft. Sumner and Clovis off Highway 60.

Michael Lloyd
10-05-2013, 09:46 PM
sad but true, they shut down their FB page too. hopefully will get back up and running before the festival in November. plus there was some flood damage not more than a month ago, so not sure it had already been fixed, one of the dirt levees gave out.

don't know where you are planning to be but the Melrose Trap has had some nice sighting reports the last few days and weeks, including some rare owls. Its about hallway between Ft. Sumner and Clovis off Highway 60.

My itinerary is in shambles. A friend is flying in from N.C. tomorrow and I'll pick him up at 10:40-ish. We are going to Ouray, CO for fall color. After that everything fell apart for about a week. We were going to Canyonlands Needles, Hovenweep, and spend a couple of days at Mesa Verde. Those are all out of the question at this point. After MV we were (and still are) headed to Canyon de Chelly for a few days. Once I drop my passenger off in ABQ I'll work my way home and I'll probably check out Melrose Trap on the way. I like going through Ft. Sumner and I didn't go that way on the way here. It sounds odd but I went through Raton, then across to Taos, then over the high road to Sante Fe, down through ABQ, to Socorro. I came from about 1/2 way between Houston and San Antonio so I did not take the short route :)

LinzRiverBalmer
10-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Sounds like you travel like we do, slowest most scenic way.

Ouray is awesome, drive the road to silverton.

Usually good stuff near Dolores because of the river too.

If you do come back down over on 60 don't by pass the part of 60 that goes through Vaughn.

Used to drive the road every day for work and between Vaughn and Yeso I never failed to see a golden eagle, ferruginous hawks, and a bald eagle on a road kill once.

Caballo lake has also been getting great action, unusual hawks, 2 blue footed boobies, herons, etc.