View Full Version : butterfly

stuart wanuck
08-11-2013, 08:26 AM
nikon d 800 iso 400
ap 1/800 @ 6.3
500 mm

Mitch Haimov
08-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Lovely subject in great condition, nice perch. I like that you caught it taking a sip from the flower.

Mitch Haimov
08-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Since your subject is pretty much centered, a square crop might work well here.

Jonathan Ashton
08-11-2013, 01:53 PM
A super image, excellent detail and DOF, I really like the colours too. Ideally the leaf blade would not be there but I do not find it unduly distracting. the dark patch bottom left, yes I would have left it there too though I suspect others may have preferred it to have been blended in somewhat - just a matter of personal taste I guess.
A very minor point and you may well disagree but I get the impression the petals on the flowers are just a little too saturated.

Steve Maxson
08-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Stuart. A perfect specimen giving you a nice pose while feeding on colorful milkweed flowers! Also good sharpness throughout and a nice background. I might suggest blending the darker areas in the background a bit and backing off the saturation a little - both minor points. This is a very strong image!

Mitch Carucci
08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Love the colors and sharp rendering against the soft background. The position of the two flowers in relation to the B.Fly is great. (I like it better than the OOTB version :w3)

Anita Bower
08-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I love that the Monarch (am I right?) is feeding on a native Butterfly Weed. Excellent photo. Beautiful details and clean bg. Good suggestions above. I would clone out the bottom two leaves as they take away from the perfection of the butterfly and flower.

Jason Stander
08-20-2013, 03:09 AM
Beautiful Stuart... great detail and exposure... killer bg and perch... so wish that the leave detail at the back was not in the frame... otherwise WD:w3

Doug Zoern
08-23-2013, 08:29 PM
This is a Queen butterfly.

Nice image. Bonus that the flowers are in such nice shape too.
I would crop out the leaf coming out of the bottom and get rid of the tip of the stem along the right edge.