PDA

View Full Version : Sunflowers

Nancy Bell
08-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I purposely over-exposed the bkgd for this high key look. I also positioned the early evening sun so it would shine through the petals.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, 1/640, f7.1, exposure compensation +2, ISO 1250, tripod.

C & C most appreciated.

jack williamson
08-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Beautiful image Nancy, excellent high key-I see no fringing. Love the sun shining through the petals. Maybe lighten the seed pod in the upper flower a bit.

Jack

Allen Sparks
08-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Nancy, Nicely done - I also like the light coming through the petals as Jack mentions. Lightening the seed pods is a good suggestion too but overall I think you nailed it. -- Allen

Mitch Haimov
08-11-2013, 12:20 AM
I like this one a lot, Nancy. The high key look works really well here. Nice and crisp, never would have guessed ISO 1250. The translucent petals and leaves are great. I also agree about lightening centers to show more detail, provided that doesn't bring up much noise (and if it doesn't I will be even more impressed with the Mark III considering the ISO). A minor point, but I wish there was a little more room between the lowest leaf and the bottom of the frame.

Jonathan Ashton
08-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Excellent concept, I really like the image. I am not reading previous comments so please forgive me if I am repeating anything.
Exposure and colours sharpness and detail - very good.
Composition - very good... perhaps a little more at the base to lengthen the stems.
Possibly consider use of a little fill in flash to show a tad more detail in the darker areas.

Markus Jais
08-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Beautiful shot. I like the composition, light and colors. The BG works great here.

Markus

Nancy Bell
08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Thank you everyone! I agree completely with the points raised. I would like longer stems, but I cropped just above the vase top. I should have raised the flowers higher. I tried to lighten the centers but too much noise. A fill flash (which I had right beside me :e3) would have been very helpful. Your comments really help these ideas to become part of my thinking.

Anita Bower
08-13-2013, 05:56 AM
Hi, Nancy. I agree with all the comments. Love the high key look! Wonderful to see those gorgeous sunflowers against the white bg. I like the position of the flowers, and the many curves of the petals. The translucence of petals is just lovely. Can't you lighten centers a bit, adding contrast and sharpness, and then using your noise reduction software?

Nancy Bell
08-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Anita, I'll give your suggestion a try. Sadly the cut sunflowers lasted only one day so I cannot retake the image. The sunflowers were from a friend who is nearly an hour away.

Steve Maxson
08-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi Nancy. Love the backlight, high key, and comp! I would agree that brightening the flower centers would make this fine image even better.